where is the radiator fill ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where is the radiator fill ?

i have 2000 ford f150 4.6 . my drivers side headlight is out . do i have to remove the coolant fill tank to get to it or is there an easier way . also , where do i refill my radiator . if , i have to remove my coolant tank . my husband is out of town . i would like to do it myself . thanks

Old 07-25-2007, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by dallas63
i have 2000 ford f150 4.6 . my drivers side headlight is out . do i have to remove the coolant fill tank to get to it or is there an easier way . also , where do i refill my radiator . if , i have to remove my coolant tank . my husband is out of town . i would like to do it myself . thanks

According to my service manual DVD for your 2000 to fill the radiator:

1. add the correct engine coolant mixture to the degas bottle

2. move the temperature blend selector to the full warm position

3. run the engine until it reaches operating temperature

4. add the correct engine coolant mixture to the degas bottle until the coolant level is between the "COOLANT FILL LEVEL" marks

5. turn off the engine and allow the cooling system to cool

6. repeat steps 1 thru 5 until the degas bottle level is ok

And your degas bottle is your coolant fill tank. However, it seems that you fill your radiator thru the tank. I would imagine if you had to remove the tank then you would somehow have to pinch off the hose from the coolant tank to the radiator so as not to spill out coolant.

To remove the headlamp assembly, which appears to NOT need the removal of your coolant tank, is as follows:

1. Raise the headlamp retainers by pushing rearward and pulling up, Disconnect the headlamp electrical connector, remove the headlamp assembly

2. Rotate the headlamp bulb retainer counterclockwise and remove

3. remove the headlamp bulb

4. install is the reversal of steps 1 thru 3

So your headlamp comes forward out from the truck, and the bulb removal is when that assembly is out

HTH, and hope it wasnt confusing, I was trying to answer both questions

Old 07-25-2007, 10:26 PM
Dallas,if your hand is small enough to reach behind the headlight assembly and remove the bulb,you wont have to remove your coolant tank,me I need to remove the tank to gain access to the bulb.Its 2 bolts,one in the fender,one under the radiator shroud,which you will need to remove to get to the bolt.It snaps off and snaps on,so its not difficult.The last time I replaced my head light bulb and I had the shroud off,I made a hole about a 1/2" in dia.in the shroud exposing the bolt on the coolant tank so the next time I need to replace the bulb,the shroud wont have to come off.Turn the ring on the back of the headlight to the right about a1/4 to 1/2 turn and the bulb assembly comes out.Install your new bulb and install the assembly back in the headlight. Its easy.You fill your radiator at the coolant tank,check your hot and cold fill marks,they're on the side of the tank.Hope this helps.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:40 AM
You do not need to remove the coolant tank. INFireRed's instructions are correct. There are two metal sliding tabs on the back side of the headlight assembly that hold it in. Slide those up beyond the detent, and the headlight assembly will slide out the front of the vehicle. You may need to pry on these tabs with a big screw driver or pliers to get them to move at first, but it is a lot easier to switch out the bulb by pulling the whole assembly out the front.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Crownie
You do not need to remove the coolant tank. INFireRed's instructions are correct. There are two metal sliding tabs on the back side of the headlight assembly that hold it in. Slide those up beyond the detent, and the headlight assembly will slide out the front of the vehicle. You may need to pry on these tabs with a big screw driver or pliers to get them to move at first, but it is a lot easier to switch out the bulb by pulling the whole assembly out the front.
The instructions on how to replace the bulbs are in the owners manual.

Quick Reply: where is the radiator fill ?