Go Back  F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
What restricited air flow on the 460 mammoths >

What restricited air flow on the 460 mammoths

Old 05-24-2007, 09:09 AM

I was just wondering waht the main cause of air flow restriction was and waht pieces i should change. Any help would be awsome.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:35 AM
What year?
Your name lists a 79 F150.....I'm not sure that was ever a factory option.

In most fuel injected years the lower air box intake where the air is ducted either from the inner fender or from the radiator support brace gets quite restrictive. Most vehicles restrict these to reduce intake noise.

For example the '97-'03 F150s restrict the air inlet down to about 1-1/2" as it passes through the inner fender.

Another place that gets restricted is the exhaust....most commonly again in older models. A replacement hi-flow exhaust is almost always a good idea and one of the cheapest modifications to free up power.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:27 PM
Talking

Don't know for absolute certain, but I always heard the intake/exhaust ports on the 460's were horribly restrictive. I think the key to unlocking some horses would be to get a new pair of performance heads...not sure just how far you can or can not port and polish a stock set. Maybe check and see what edelbrock has for it, or possibly even Ford Motorsports.

Another thing to consider is the shear rotating mass of a 7.5 liter engine. Finding some lighter weight internals would go help make more power as well, and help the engine reach higher rpm's and rev up faster...

Keep in mind, the 460 is a very old design at this point. It can definitely make big power, but look towards modernizing its components to really wake it up.

Just my two cents,

Mike

Last edited by mrainey889; 05-24-2007 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:37 AM
I have heard the ports on a 460 are just about adaquate for a 302. They are typically set up more for a pulling engine than a racing engine out of the factory which doesn't help much for speed either.

They might have been a option, we had a Big 10 Chevy pickup with a factory 454 when I was growing up. Napa's online catalog has the 460 listed for a 1979 F-150, even if they are not optional it would also be fairly easy to swap.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:00 AM
A little more information regarding the vehicle and how you intend to use it would be nice.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:13 AM
I dont want it to be my daily driver but just a **** around truck on the weekends thats modifed a bit to go like hell. I was thinking of putting edelbrock dual plane intake, 650 cfm edelbrock carb, and mabe runnning straight pipes with cherry bomb glasspacks or something. oh and flowtech headers. How does that sound everyone would that lift a new stone?

Old 05-25-2007, 10:00 AM
i have a 78 , f150 with a 460, here is what i have and what i think

change to a 429 timing chain, the 460 had retarded timing, the 429 chain will give you 10 to 20 hp.

the heads are terrible. any cam over 220 duration at .050 is a waste of time. (mine is 216 on the intake and 220 on the exhaust

i went with an edlebrock performer rpm intake with an 800 cfm carb. and headers, 2.5" dia dual exhaust.

the above probably make 375 to 390 hp. any thing more would require heads, if your 79 has the original heads, then edlebrock is the only one that makes a direct swap for your heads (bigger combustion chamber) and piston. if you rebuild and change pistons then several make good heads.

on the stock heads, the intake port is so -so , the exhaust port is terrible

here is a very good wesite for 1970's fords with 429/460

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum53/

Old 05-25-2007, 02:24 PM
Wow dude thx alot man tons of good info. My email is [email protected] if u wana keep me posted on ur project truck or just any tips u might learn as u go would be dope.

Oh my buds got a 650 edelbrock carb he wants to sell for 90can bucks. Whats ur opinion. Like i gota holly on the truck right now. Do u no waht the cfm was on those like 580 or 600 or something. If u knew waht came stock that would be awsome. ANd would an edelbrock intake help out alot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What restricited air flow on the 460 mammoths

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: