Help for a noob

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 11:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help for a noob

Okay, starting off, I've got a K&N 63 series intake and flowmaster 40's on my '06 f150 already. I've been looking at throttle body spacers for my truck, and I am skeptical because i dont think it will fit with the already after market intake mounted in there ( http://www.autoanything.com/air-inta...A1851A0A0.aspx ). I really want to know what I can expect from my truck if I do get the throttle body spacer.

Also, as you all probably know, this truck is heavy as hell, what can I do to increase my horsepower (especially in the lower RPM range), aside from the obvious $6000 Roush supercharger. Your help is seriously, greatly appreciated.

Also, my friends all hate ford, and sadly, their dodges and chevys have a fun time with my ford, hopefully that will give you guys some incentive to help me out.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Throttle body spacer will give you nothing - Scam...

Unless you use the spacer for Nitrous ports , it's worthless..

ProCharger's about a grand cheaper - more overeall ponies

Welcome to the site

Old 05-04-2007, 12:07 AM
thanks its good to be here, problem is i dont have anywhere near the amount of money to spend on a charger of any kind that i would need, so im looking for "small" fixes you could say, one of my friends keeps on saying if i put "gears in my rear tires youll fly"....first of all, i dont even know what the hell that means, and is that true?

Old 05-04-2007, 01:15 AM
Tuner, exhaust, efans and CAI....Best HP gains for the money IMO

Old 05-04-2007, 01:33 AM
what is/are efans?, and whats a good tuner? ive been lookin at hypertech, and thats about it, and some custom tune from a guy here in dallas that has some crazy results for his diesels and gas trucks, thanks for your help so far

Old 05-04-2007, 07:52 AM
E-fans are electric fans to replace the one driven by the belt. Theyll get you about 15hp(correct me if im wrong) and a couple mpg's as well. As far as tuners go, scroll down to the Chips and Tuners section and just read a bunch of posts in there. Youll walk out an expert.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:54 AM
TNC
Try a tuner. I have the TP tuned XCAL2. Made a huge difference. Probably will need to replace the Flowmaster. Pretty well known to lose some of your bottom end power. E-fans seem ok, but check the threads. Plenty of leaks and issues with them. Not a lot of gain for the cost, and risk, IMO. Gears wil help you launch....

Trending Topics

Old 05-05-2007, 02:20 AM
taking your advice TNC, im looking into the tuners section, trying to find out what works for me and is in my price range...it bothers me that throttle body spacers are really a scam, anyone else have any thoughts on that one?

Old 05-06-2007, 03:37 PM
"Gears in the rear" refer to the gear ratio in the rear differential. Lower ratio gears (2.73:1, 3.08:1, a.k.a "highway gears") give you better MPG on the highway but are harder to get going so you lose some acceleration and towing ability. High ratio gears (3.55, 3.73, 4.10) are commonly found in heavy duty or towing package trucks. They sacrifice MPG(motor has to spin faster for the same speed) for torque, and acceleration will be better too. If this applies to you, your top end speed will suffer as well.

To determine which ratio your truck has, find the driver's doorjamb sticker and get the "axle" code off, then search for the thread here that lists what they mean.

Bumping your gears higher is a fairly easy and not too expensive way to get a permanent boost in holeshot, and it'll help you in towing as well, but prepare to lose 1-2 MPG's on the highway.

TB spacers are the spawn of the equally useless carb spacers. They say it gives the air "more space to atomize with fuel" or some other BS line. It does nothing whatsoever and a waste of money.

Tuners aren't cheap either, they can run anywhere from $300-$1k depending on how fancy you want to get. Some are pre-programmed with one or two programs and that's all you get. Others can be hooked to a laptop and let you customize and get all the data the ECU keeps locked away.

Electric fans are a good mod. Not too expensive and you can gain 10-15hp with virtually no downside.

You'll be the one laughing when the Dodge's Hemi starts mis-firing and it's rear axle starts to go at about 90k miles.

Old 05-06-2007, 04:52 PM

+ 1 on the gears , you get more bang for the buck if you shop around . I've investigated (another forum) some on gear swapps.

I have as far as statistics that 4:10's give you the power and can give you more mpg's , depending on how you drive her.

It can be exspensive if you need to farm out the work - specially if you have a 4x4.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:50 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
+ 1 on the gears , you get more bang for the buck if you shop around . I've investigated (another forum) some on gear swapps.

I have as far as statistics that 4:10's give you the power and can give you more mpg's , depending on how you drive her.

It can be exspensive if you need to farm out the work - specially if you have a 4x4.
but hill billy's like me do it in a few hours just to change out lockers :P

Old 05-06-2007, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Klitch
but hill billy's like me do it in a few hours just to change out lockers :P
I plum forgot about that Hey , your from Idaho - Do potato's really grow on tree's

AND - Is there such a thing as a lightning 5.4L in a 4x4?

Old 05-06-2007, 11:54 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
uhm no but the rocks seem to... everywhere i look theres rocks, pinecones a itty bitty clump of dirt and a lot more rocks.

Old 05-06-2007, 11:56 PM

haahaaha - Well, What about question 2?

Old 05-06-2007, 11:59 PM

I just busted both rear shocks last night jumping the tracks - bent my brake lines to hell and creased my diff cover - lucky nothin leakes , but the shocks are history... Ordered some Bilsteins , but there 6 days out - couldn't pass up $250 for all four shipped!!! I hate waiting tho.

http://item.express.ebay.com/_Car-Tr...QtabnavZ6#tabs

Quick Reply: Help for a noob