Pin from steering column

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 10:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pat4road
OK, I found the location of where the pin that fell out of my steering column goes to. This is the same pin that member Tombolee shows in his photo with the copper penny. As shown in the many online diagrams the pin is called a Gearshift Lever Pin. The Gearshift Lever Pin gores through the Transmission Column Shift Selector Tube and the Gearshift Lever. The problem with the diagrams is in the parts list they use term "Gearshift Lever" to represent two different looking parts. They call the Gearshift Lever the driver uses to place the vehicle in P-R-N-D-1-2 the same as the Gearshift Lever I show in the attached photos. The photos finally tell the story of the location of the mysterious grooved/knurled pin.

so so how did you fix this problem? Did you just push the pin back into place? Did it hold for a long time or fall out again?

Thanks

Old 09-01-2022, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by pat4road
OK, I found the location of where the pin that fell out of my steering column goes to. This is the same pin that member Tombolee shows in his photo with the copper penny. As shown in the many online diagrams the pin is called a Gearshift Lever Pin. The Gearshift Lever Pin gores through the Transmission Column Shift Selector Tube and the Gearshift Lever. The problem with the diagrams is in the parts list they use term "Gearshift Lever" to represent two different looking parts. They call the Gearshift Lever the driver uses to place the vehicle in P-R-N-D-1-2 the same as the Gearshift Lever I show in the attached photos. The photos finally tell the story of the location of the mysterious grooved/knurled pin.
I also found this on my floor board. What does this part do? Function?

Old 11-10-2022, 07:21 PM
Posting to add my experience with this issue on a 2005 Ford Ranger, from the Ranger forums
https://www.ranger-forums.com/genera...-wheel-170574/

@claff The pin is what keeps you from being able to freely move the gear shift lever. Normal operation requires pulling the gear shift lever back to shift, without this pin in place you don't need to do that anymore. Additionally this is what allows you to simply push-down-into-drive from reverse. With this pin removed from reverse you can go straight to 1st.

Many thanks to @pat4road

Quick Reply: Pin from steering column