super unleaded 10% ethanol

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Except the thing is, it's really not all that much cleaner. 90% of the fuel consumed is still regular gas with all it's "bad" by-products (and don't think that ethanol is totally pollutant-free either, it just has less than gas). So you might save 5% on the "harmful" emissions tops which in the long run means absolutely squat. All this gov't money is being dropped on a more expensive, less powerful fuel to save a couple percent of emissions. Never mind the fact the engine burns more E-10 than straight gas, so that totally negates any pollution reduction anyway. It's like eating 4 scoops of LowFat ice cream instead of 2 scoops of regular, you're really not saving anything.

BoatUS magazine did a big, multi-part report on ethanol, most docks already push E-10, and many are bucking for E-15 or E-20(so the marina owner can invade your butt even harder while charging the same price). Espically in boats, ethanol causes too many problems to list, most of which are applicable to any engine running it. Poor performance, clogged injectors, fouled plugs, stuck carb floats, it melts fiberglass, eats common rubber lines, ect.

Ethanol was a "fad" during the 70's gas crunch, until everybody realized it was crap and the pinch ended.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:13 PM
BSL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that's what I'm saying, it's maybe a little cleaner, but because there is that minor justification the government will push it just like all the other useless clean technologies. The reason we started using oil, gas, coal is because it's high energy content, use resources we have and start learning how to clean them up, don't make slightly less "dirty" technologies that produce the same overall effect

*Edit I believe global warming is a crock, it's the natural cycle of things so all you hippies leave me alone, that's why I drive a truck!

Last edited by BSL; 05-08-2007 at 08:18 PM.

Quick Reply: super unleaded 10% ethanol