Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok - going to go try it right now.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Reconnect in about 15 minutes or so - give it time to forget

After you re- start , let it idle for a couple minutes . You want to drive normally for awhile ..

BTW - Is your PCV valve good?
seems to be ok - pulled it off and it was sucking hard (ha ha). no cracks

Old 05-01-2007, 05:55 PM
disconnect both battery terminals for about 15min or longer

Old 05-01-2007, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by Kevin24
disconnect both battery terminals for about 15min or longer
Will do - when I get home. How do you guys know this stuff - are you mechanics or have you just owned enough vehicles to know what you're talking about? I like doing this stuff, I just don't know how I'd do any of it without your help. I probably would pay the dealership a bunch of money to not fix it.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:33 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I am drawn to open hoods. It's a hobby. It's a disease. I like to make things better..... Look at my sig, I like to tinker

JMC

Old 05-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by masonball
Will do - when I get home. How do you guys know this stuff - are you mechanics or have you just owned enough vehicles to know what you're talking about? I like doing this stuff, I just don't know how I'd do any of it without your help. I probably would pay the dealership a bunch of money to not fix it.
LOL....... I have broke enough vehicles to have an idea
Backyard mechanic here I just hate paying a garage as much as they get and i like working on vehicles so its kind of hobby
I have learned alot from this site and i owe alot to everyone on here that has helped me

I hear ya JMC i can't leave well enough alone either and have to mess w/ it
ooh you have a 5.4 5spd must be nice

Last edited by Kevin24; 05-01-2007 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:53 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by JMC
Do not replace any bolt or torx screw with a phillips head. The torque required to remove it when it is seized will make a mess of the phillips head. They tend to lift out of the slot when you apply any amount of torque. If you still insist on doing so use some never seize on the threads.

JMC

Well , I 'm not sure what the spec torque is on the MAF bolts . I know I can't get the screws as tight , but it's workin out for me . I used a good hardened machine screw, they haven't been stuck and I don't use anti-sieaze one em - It's prolly a good idea tho, couldn't hurt

- I prolly had the MAF apart 3 or 4 times since I replaced those Bullchit Torq's without any problems.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:12 AM
well I disconnected the battery after replacing the IAC, same rough shaking idle. Pulled around on some hoses, no change. Pulled the MAF, cleaned up real nice with the electrical contact cleaner, disconnected battery again - same problem. I have a K&N FIPK and I'm wondering if maybe my throttle body just needs a good cleaning. I think I could take it off, I just don't know how to get off the throttle cable. Once I have off that front facing plate with 4 bolts on it (throttle body) what else needs to come off so I can clean it?

Old 05-02-2007, 05:14 AM
Masonball,open the throttle wide open not running and then you will see the cables will slide out.Don't forget to remember how they go.If you are going to do that you should also pull the elbow too.Then you can clean all of the ports out if they are patially plugged.Have you ever done a tune up on it?

Old 05-02-2007, 08:00 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, my soon to be father in law pulled out his air ratchet and 8mm socket and in about 6 seconds the stripped bolt was in my hand. ...
I would have had it towed to the dealer first!
I'll be damned if I'm going to marry somebody just to get a bolt off.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:54 AM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Raoul
I would have had it towed to the dealer first!
I'll be damned if I'm going to marry somebody just to get a bolt off.
I must admit that Raoul doesn't say much, but when he does.......

JMC

Old 05-02-2007, 11:38 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
well I disconnected the battery after replacing the IAC, same rough shaking idle. Pulled around on some hoses, no change. Pulled the MAF, cleaned up real nice with the electrical contact cleaner, disconnected battery again - same problem. I have a K&N FIPK and I'm wondering if maybe my throttle body just needs a good cleaning. I think I could take it off, I just don't know how to get off the throttle cable. Once I have off that front facing plate with 4 bolts on it (throttle body) what else needs to come off so I can clean it?

Well that sucks . Yeah , like Kevin said - I would take the TB off and clean it - I thought you did that?

You could have a manifold gasket leak as well -

The O2's are suspect now..But see where the port cleaning gets yuh first.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Well that sucks . Yeah , like Kevin said - I would take the TB off and clean it - I thought you did that?

You could have a manifold gasket leak as well -

The O2's are suspect now..But see where the port cleaning gets yuh first.
No, I just cleaned the IAC (before I replaced it). I guess doing as much cleaning as possible before replacing parts is the best way to do this. I just started my truck about 5 min ago and it took two tries! Feels like its not getting fuel or something. Sounds like it's gonna start - revs, but nothing. Tried again, and it started normally. This is the first time the starting problem has ever happened. Should I keep messing with this thing until I fix it or just sell it and buy a newer one with less problems??? I know when you buy used, you gamble, but this problem's gonna nickel and dime me to death - I know it's only cause I'll let it - but it's a problem I just can't live with.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Masonball your new IAC valve will do nothing if the port is clogged.
Also i bet there is nothing seriously wrong w/ your truck.I would not sell it.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by Kevin24
Masonball your new IAC valve will do nothing if the port is clogged.
Also i bet there is nothing seriously wrong w/ your truck.I would not sell it.
I love this truck and doubt that I'll sell it, just frustrated. Anyway, I guess it's time to clean a few things before I do the spark plugs. I think I'll start on the throttle body and work my way back to the IAC then over to the EGR.

hey this post made me a senior member. Too bad I still strip bolts and don't really know how to work on my truck! But at least I'm having fun, and I love to drive my truck... I just don't like to sit in idle.

Quick Reply: stripped iac bolts...