Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice

I have an 02 F-150 Supercab XLT 2wd with a 4.6 and an auto tranny. While I know this isn't the greatest truck to be a tow rig, I go to a lot of ATV rides and just recently got access to a 24 ft bumper pull camper that I can use whenever I want. Its a 2000 model camper and I don't have any idea how much it weighs. I've got the axle coded 27 which according to what I've been told and found is a 8.8 with 3.55 gears??? I'm planning on upgrading the suspension with the load helper airbags made by firestone or airlift and also installing a camper plug with trailer brakes. I have a class 3 receiver hitch that I added on to the truck after I got it and it doesn't have the tow package. What else should I plan on trying to add to the truck to make it pull the camper with my fourwheeler (620 lbs) in the bed? I'm not worried about keeping up with traffic on the interstate while towing but I still want to be able to keep up with it when I'm not.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
24 footer Sounds heavy . 4.10's, blower (procharger), Xcall2, helpers, Kelsey Hayes brake set up and a sway bar

Last edited by jbrew; 04-23-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Many people don't look at this situation with enough information to judge the requirements.
The weight charts for your truck as a super cab, 2w drive, auto with 3.55 ratio and spec 275x17" tires, calls for a max trailer weight of 6900 lbs.
This means a gross combined weight of 11,500 lbs for the trailer, truck , it's load and passengers.
I can tell you that even within this weight limit you are going to struggle and expect to have a problem with the trans at some point depending on how often you tow and under what conditions.
At a min. you need a large trans cooler, electric brake controller/7 pin connector and should use weight distribution hitch as well as a good set of shocks.
Mirror extensions
Change the trans fluid often depending on how much towing.
Spend the money to lengthen the trucks life. Trans temp gage, deep pan etc.
Tires need to be in good condition and of the large enough size, inflated to near max etc.
Expect gas mileage in the 9 range while towing.
Good luck, been there and doing it now.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 04-23-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:29 PM
Actually, the spec tires for this truck are 255/65/16s. I run 265/75/16 tires. I won't be pulling the camper very often. I have good shocks on it as well as the air bags that I will be putting on it. I will definately put trailer brakes on it. Where is the best (cheapest) place to get a programmer? I plan on getting a weight distribution hitch to pull with and the trailer is a new enough model that it is fairly light to pull. The guy who told me I could use it whenever I wanted pulls it with a 2wd Chevy and has no problems. It is a 3/4 suspension but has the small motor as well. Thanks for the advice. Do I really need a blower or would a programmer be enough since I won't be pulling it that often? Probably about two to four times a year max is what we're talking.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:22 PM
My 24' trailer loaded to the max weights 6100lbs. I have a 99' 5.4 that pulls it with no trouble. Many with 4.6 pull this amount, you could be at max and you need a few things, transcooler, weight dist hitch, brake controller etc.

Many newer light weight trailers can be under 3000 lbs. My son in law's 26' Rockwood is under 3500 lbs.

Quick Reply: Need advice