Cylinder Head Job on 98 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 10:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cylinder Head Job on 98 5.4

I have a 1998 F-150 4x4 ORP with the 5.4L and it has some exhaust problems that originate at the manifolds that prevent it from passing PA inspection. This truck has spent a fair amount of time tramping around Cape Hatteras NC on my various fishing expeditions. As a result, the salt has gotten to the manifold bolts to the point where I am fairly certain that they won't come off.

I have been soaking them with penetrating oil about once a week for a few months but have not tried yet.

I am wondering if it is even worth it. I am considering just pulling the heads off and taking them to a machine shop for overhaul and putting on a set of headers. There are 16 salt-water encrusted bolts that need to come off and I think the chances of that happening are slim at best.

So, my question - how big a job is it to get the cylinder heads off one of these beasts? I was scoping it out yesterday and the engine seems to sit pretty far back there and there is a lot of stuff in the way.

Also, I don't want to go into it blind. Can anyone recommend a good reference / shop manual?

Thanks in advance for your time . . .

Larry

Old 04-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
It's not bad - did it 4 years ago and I hear yuh on those bolts - Mine are totally gone again, but I go thru allot of salt. I don't know how the manifolds are even staying attached w/expantion, but they are . I'm not touching until I aquire PI and can afford a good set of long tubes..

Old 04-24-2007, 10:08 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Yeah heres the thread you posted yesterday - it was on page 2, you don't need 2 threads.

Last edited by jbrew; 04-24-2007 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For info on removing exhaust studs do a search for "exhaust stud"

Quick Reply: Cylinder Head Job on 98 5.4