Bottle Baby/2004 5.4 F-150 & other mod help

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 01:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bottle Baby/2004 5.4 F-150 & other mod help

I have a 2004 F-150 5.4 Supercrew that I would like to up the HP and Torque a little bit. So I will be taking off my NX ( nitrous express ) system from my 1996 Impala SS. The NX system is a shark nozzle that mounts in the air intake tube, that shoots Nitrous Oxide & Fuel towards the throttle body. I also have a MSD 6AL coming off the Impala and a MSD Programmable Digital-7 coming off of my 1989 Mustang GT. Which the Digital-7 may be a little too much for the truck, but that is why I'm here. To ask the best people in the Ford truck department a few questions or maybe a list HAHA. I know when to give credit when credit is do, and gentlemen this is one forum that I have been missing for way to long. I am so happy that I have found this forum before I go further on my truck. Before I ask about any install question, I should tell you I have been a Car Stereo & Alarm installer since I could drive up to the local shop, so 13 years of installs and I do all the work on my Drag Racing Mustang hobby, except the machine work. I guess I could of just told you that I am mechanically inclined HAHA.

Q1: So has anyone installed NOS on there truck, specifically a 2004 5.4 F-150, but beggers can't be choosers. If so do you have some pointers or guidence on the install? Also what shoot did you go with and recommend? I will probably use a micro switch to be safe. Like fuel hook up for the fuel solenoid.

Q2: Has anyone installed a MSD 6AL on the same truck? I think the Digital 7 will be a over kill or not wise. So do you have some pointers or guidence on the install? Also is there a coil or coil pack I should use on the truck with the 6AL?

Q3: I have one electric fan and fan shroud. That my friend gave me from his 2001 Ford Lightning. Do you think I should use this one electric fan and will the fan shroud fit on my 2004 F-150? Also is there a relay wiring harness that I could buy to do the install right, a harness just for this truck? I could wire up some relays to a switch or ignition, but I would like to make sure this fan works like the factory one does, but just with less drag on the motor. I'm sure someone on here has install a electric fan correctly and has some install guidence for me.

Q4: Last but lets not forget the other mods. I have the True Flow intake, which in "my opinion" Junk. I have a Hypertech Power Programmer and flowmaster which the outlet pipes could have nicer bends and a bigger size, also the Poweraid throttle body spacer give me a break. This stuff was all bought before I found the Ford Truck promise land. From the reading I have done so far, which should be and will be more. I should probably sell the Hypertech and get something more custom or a 9100. What is your opinion or should this be last, so the programmer or a custom chip will be just right? There is so many opinions, choices, combinations to go with, I will just have to wait to see what everyone has to tell me or when I read until the sun comes up.

Thank you for your time and help in advance. I will appreciate all the help, guidence,and opinions that is given to me. Oh I almost forgot I have been looking on ebay for stuff for the truck and I keep seeing this "resistor" mod, sounds to good to be true, but that is why I'm here. To help and get help with the other Ford Truck fans.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:34 AM
I almost didn't reply because I haven't sprayed (nor do I plan to spray) my 2005 F150, but I am a nitrous junky by trade and I spray the guts out of my '98 Camaro SS. Again, I'll leave the specifics up to the experts, but a few points I'm sure of:

Q1: Before you spray, make sure you have a few essential safety items: a wide open throttle switch, a fuel pressure safety switch, a window switch and fire extinguisher (since you're spraying a wet shot). The shot size you go with depends totally on you - I'd say that the engine could likely handle a 100hp shot without issue, but can the transmission? That is what I'd be worried about. Also, if you go with a big shot (100+), make sure you run spark plugs that are one step colder than the stockers and I'd have a custom 93 octane tune done on the truck just to verify a safe air/fuel ratio and pull a few degrees of timing.

Q2: I don't see any need to install a 6AL on the truck - shoot, I'm not even sure that it is possible! The stock ignition setup is sufficient.

Q3: No idea

Q4: Sell the hypertech and go with a custom tune. You can leave the other bolt ons installed - they won't hurt.

I hope some experienced F150 sprayers step in shortly.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:58 PM
Thank you Joey Anderson for your reply to my questions. What pistons do you think are in are trucks? I was only going with a 50 or 75 shot. I will probably use it as much as I used my spare tire. I will use the purge more than I spray the motor. Not installing my remote bottle opener would be a wise choice. I too spray the H*** out of my 89 Mustang carburated dual stage cheater cross-plate. I really appreciate your input, speacially from another nitrous junky. I will definitely call NX before I do the nitrous install. Off the subject, my righthand man (my bestfriend) on my Mustang work . Will not stop pressuring me into a Turbo, and all his pressuring is starting to set in. So hearing from another Nitrous fan is music to my ears. Back to the questions, something for the transmission would be wise and by the way I have done two filter and fluid changes on my transmission with Royal Purple fluid. Hopefully more people will voice their input with the fans, MSD, and maybe somebody has installed NOS on their 5.4, and maybe some transmission input. Well Joey thank you again so much.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi and welcome, here is my thoughts on your questions

Q1 I haven't heard of anyone putting NOS on a 04-up 5.4,but that doesn't mean it can't be done. Superchargers add 100-150 to the wheels on these engines on a stock long block, so I see no reason you couldn't use as much juice JUST DO IT SAFELY. I've heard that using a wet setup is safer on the engine if tuned properly.

Q2 These engines use a C.O.P. ignition (Coil On Plug) so there is no need for an MSD box, actually I don't think it will even work.

Q3 You can try it, but why not buy a E-Fan kit,everything is included, and they run about 4 bills for a kit. Try here...http://www.jusnesmodified.com/store/
or here http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi-bin/ppistore.pl
or here http://www.teamjdm.com/

Q4 The two most popular tuners for these trucks are the EDGE and the X-CAL II with a custom tune, the others don't give you as much performance wise. Ditch the true flow and get an AIRAID or an AIR FORCE 1 intake, arguably the best two available. Get a good after cat exhaust, not just mufflers. I gained about 50 hp at the wheels with a custom tune, A.F. 1 intake, and a magnaflow exhaust.

As for the "resistor" mod, don't do it. At best, it will do nothing, At worst, well you can really f**k up your ECM if your not careful.

Quick Reply: Bottle Baby/2004 5.4 F-150 & other mod help