Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 07:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help

My 2000 5.4 F-150 doesn't like to start in warm weather sometimes. i'll drive it for half hour to an hour, either highway, or city, and when i go to start it again, it will just start then die. then it will only turn over and not get any gas to start. i have been told this is a fuel sensor that overheats.

the only problem is, it doesn't do it everytime. and the only way to detect what the problem is, would be too hook it up to a computer once it is broke. but i only have an hour time window to do that in, and everytime i take it to a mechanic, they can't get it to not start so they can check it. and they've yet to find anyone else who has had the same problem.

but from talking with other people, who own similar years and makes, i've heard this has happened a couple times before. but none of those people can remember just what the problem is. and considering theres quit a few sensors, the mechanic can't figure out just what it is.

any help on this would be greatly appreciated, as my truck is in the shop right now.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:06 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
It's either ignition or fuel and a bigger effort has to be made as a start.
Crystal balling won't be of much help.
Make plans to drive it enough then end up at a place willing to take a look at it right then when the problem shows.
A crank with no fire could be crank position sensor/plug, cam positionsensor/plug, PATS etc.
They need to check for spark at cranking, fuel pressure on the rail etc to see which direction to go looking.
Good luck.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniBukta
My 2000 5.4 F-150 doesn't like to start in warm weather sometimes. i'll drive it for half hour to an hour, either highway, or city, and when i go to start it again, it will just start then die. then it will only turn over and not get any gas to start. i have been told this is a fuel sensor that overheats.

the only problem is, it doesn't do it everytime. and the only way to detect what the problem is, would be too hook it up to a computer once it is broke. but i only have an hour time window to do that in, and everytime i take it to a mechanic, they can't get it to not start so they can check it. and they've yet to find anyone else who has had the same problem.

but from talking with other people, who own similar years and makes, i've heard this has happened a couple times before. but none of those people can remember just what the problem is. and considering theres quit a few sensors, the mechanic can't figure out just what it is.

any help on this would be greatly appreciated, as my truck is in the shop right now.

Your IAC is stuck. That would be my guess..

Old 03-28-2007, 01:25 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
you shoulda bought a 4.6 instead... those things last forever...

sorry J i had to

But yah it could be any number of electronic controls that arent functioning correctly.... IAT, IAC, EGR, MAF, MAP, CMPS, CKPS, TPS, ECT, etc

Old 03-28-2007, 01:28 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
If your lucky enough for it to be only an IAC than the engine should fire if you apply some throttle to allow air in, in lue of the IAC.
Iac is only a bypass route around the throttle plate.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
you shoulda bought a 4.6 instead... those things last forever...

sorry J i had to

But yah it could be any number of electronic controls that arent functioning correctly.... IAT, IAC, EGR, MAF, MAP, CMPS, CKPS, TPS, ECT, etc

Apparently , they only last this long -

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=279642

I bet my 5.4L goes longer - @ 209,000 now w/great compresion..