Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 07:51 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Keep Alive Memory (KAM)

Old 02-24-2007, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for that. I will do your test shortly but first I want to give an update on it's initial start up this morning.

I started it just now and it is definetly looking up.

quick recap: If you remember, yesterday it did it's same old thing when I first started it up. The idle bounced around between 200 and 600 rpm and tryed to stall out. I only ran it for about 2 minutes and did not give it a chance to warm up. I was just checking to see if cleaning the MAF, throttle body, and the PCV had any affect. About an hour after that I started it to go to work and it ran perfect. I can not exlplain it. Idled at 1000 rpm in park. Idled at 700 rpm in drive with the foot on the brake. Smooth as could be......

This morning it ran pretty damn good right off the bat. It still has issues but it is definetly not doing what it has been doing for thr past 6 months. It idled at about 900-1000 rpm. The rpm did not bounce around or try to stall out like normal. It did however run fairly rough. It just felt like it was missing or something.

I am wondering if the core problem is fixed. I wonder if the missing/slightly rough running new problem that I am getting now is a result of letting the core problem go for so long. I am sure running it the way I did for so long could screw up the plugs and COPs in a hurry. I do have COPs on order and should have them in a couple days. I will have to wait until next weekend to change the COPs and plugs. This is going to be ugly. I have never seen a motor with this much stuff in the way of the plugs before. Give me a 2 stroke and I am one of the best but this is all new to me. I would take it somewhere to have it done but this is much more fun. I love learning new stuff like this.

Going to reset the KAM and run your test................

Old 02-24-2007, 08:34 AM
Eric they are not bad to change as long as they come out All of mine came out easy. The COPS were harder to get off than them. I think ford forgot about dielectric grease on mine.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:35 AM

Mann , it doesn't sound like you have a PO300 problem at all. Maybe it was a fluke , Idunno, first time I heard of this .

Idleing at 1000 RPMS is wrong - that's an IAC problem, Your idle should hold steady @ 650 - 700 RPMS .

Did you put your original IAC back in?

Old 02-24-2007, 08:48 AM
It only idles that high while it is warming up first thing. after it warms up and you kick the idle down it is around 700 rpm.

I did not change the IAC back yet. I think I may have srewed it up. I let it soak over night in some solvent. I had it leaning up in such a manner that just the end of it was soaking. None of the electrical parts were submerged. It was just soaking on the very end were the needle goes into the hole. However; sometime in the middle of the night it fell over in the bucket and soaked all night completely submerged. The needle will not move freely any more. It feels real gummy. I will search for a new one.

OK, I am going to run you test now. I have to run into Orlando and won't post the results for a few more hours.

Thanks again.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:07 AM

Okay , Good Luck..

Old 02-24-2007, 12:01 PM
your "engine brake" feeling on coast down always happens after a ECM reset. it is your tranny "learning"

after reading through this very long post I believe you have had a few issues. and BOTH chester and jbrew are correct.

your iac was prolly on the way out/really dirty. the cops are hovering around the bad zone. AND I believe that you still have a vac leak.

for the vac leak my money is still on the 90 degree elbow at the TB because it usually fails inside and you cant tell by feeling it. plus it very commonly can open up for a bit (Hence your return to some proper idling)

my .02

good luck

Old 02-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Jbrew,

The test went fine. It ran great. I did the 60 mph coast to 40mph 3 times in a row but everthing seamed fine. No light came on. I shut it off and restarted it and still no light.

HCMQ,

What is the TB? Where is this elbow located?

Old 02-24-2007, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Eric76
Jbrew,

The test went fine. It ran great. I did the 60 mph coast to 40mph 3 times in a row but everthing seamed fine. No light came on. I shut it off and restarted it and still no light.

HCMQ,

That would be the throttle body which is attached to the elbow and then the manifold.

Heres a pic of both bolted together -

Old 02-24-2007, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Eric76
Jbrew,

HCMQ,

Eric , a portion of this test on the monitor slipped my mind - when you speed up to 60mph , you were suppose to maintain that speed for 30 seconds and then let it decelerate on it's own to 40mph ,my bad.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:02 PM
No problem. I will try it again in the morning.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:50 AM
I am HEAVILY leaning toward a vacuum leak. Unless your IAC valve is bad.

The procedure jbrew was talking about is the "initialization" of the missfire monitor. The missfire monitor needs a "clean" picture of what "steady engine rotation" look like. So, it waits until you decelerate, and it takes note of sensor output, and is therefore able to "correct" for sensor variations etc. So that it can more accurately detect and discern missfires. This is known as "profile correction" It is necessary to complete this test before the missfire monitor will become active. But this "process" in itself will not throw a code.

Did you try the starting fluid idea? It works well, and it helped me find the pcv elbow leak on my truck.

Last edited by chester8420; 02-26-2007 at 01:54 AM.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
If the PCV sounds like an empty paint can when you shake it, then it's okay..

Tell you what , Follow that line that runs from your PCV to the back of your motor then it makes a sharp right and goes into a 90 degree elbow.. This elbow has been known to fail - check that out to make sure it's ok..

I'll post a pic if I can find one -

Found one - the 90 degree piece is back by the firewall -

Ok. this is the picture of my hose I am having a problem with. The top right corner where the hose does the hard bend is where I know my problem is cause the hose is just loose in the back of my truck.

Where does that end plug into my truck? I can not see it or feel it back there and have been stabbing around all night long. Please help..

Old 03-22-2009, 11:32 PM
Brian,

if it's the tube coming from the PCV I believe it plugs into the IAC, there are photos of the IAC earlier in this thread. I'll check in the morning to be sure.

Wes

Old 03-23-2009, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by NotScru'dYet
Brian,

if it's the tube coming from the PCV I believe it plugs into the IAC, there are photos of the IAC earlier in this thread. I'll check in the morning to be sure.

Wes
I don't think so lol, - connects to the intake manifold.

Nothing plugs into the IAC- except for the "air" intake and, -wire harness of course. BUT! By all means, go ahead and check lol.

Brian has a 99, so it plugs in right here -

Last edited by jbrew; 03-23-2009 at 01:10 AM.

Quick Reply: 5.4L idle problem when cold. Help!