2005 F150 High Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Labnerd
switch oil to a duel rated oil like Rotella T or Motorcraft diesel rated in 5w-30.
You haven't seen it burn oil until you put a "diesel" blend into it.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:13 PM
Thanks for your comments, they provide reassurance in what I already knew, Something's wrong.

1) I first realized my problem when I took my truck in to the dealer for maintenance at 15k miles (my 3rd oil change) and they told me the oil was low...my engine was pinging by then. Definetly not Normal! In addition, I only use the truck as a commuter vehicle, and rarely tow or have much load on it.

2) They've done several tests on it and don't know why it's consuming the oil. I was told if they couldn't fix it I would get a new engine dropped in.

3) After 3 tests they tell me that the oil I'm using up which is 1 qt. every 2500 miles or less is within the normal guidelines of the manf. (1 qt for every 1800)

The truck is still under warranty, and now I have to convince them to take it back. Thanks again.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sjblkstang
Thanks for your comments, they provide reassurance in what I already knew, Something's wrong.
Not according to Ford...

1qt in 2500 miles is well below the threshold for 'excessive' according to Ford. The dealers won't do anything...

1) I first realized my problem when I took my truck in to the dealer for maintenance at 15k miles (my 3rd oil change) and they told me the oil was low...my engine was pinging by then. Definetly not Normal! In addition, I only use the truck as a commuter vehicle, and rarely tow or have much load on it.
Can't help there.... there's a LOT of things that cause pinging... oil consumption is not generally one of them...

2) They've done several tests on it and don't know why it's consuming the oil. I was told if they couldn't fix it I would get a new engine dropped in.
They're not going to do anything if it's consuming less than a quart in 1500 miles.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by sjblkstang

3) After 3 tests they tell me that the oil I'm using up which is 1 qt. every 2500 miles or less is within the normal guidelines of the manf. (1 qt for every 1800)
This is nuts....a two year old vehicle shouldn't go through oil unless someone has flogged the everloving hell out of it on a daily basis. I would be royally pissed about this. If it were my truck I'd sell it before the problem worsens and you're out of warranty.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by Gear Jammer
This is nuts....a two year old vehicle shouldn't go through oil unless someone has flogged the everloving hell out of it on a daily basis. I would be royally pissed about this. If it were my truck I'd sell it before the problem worsens and you're out of warranty.
But the ford specs have said otherwise for more than a decade. My 97 drank a quart every 3k. My '00 drinks a quart every 5k in the summertime, less in the wintertime, and more if I head out to the sand dunes. It's not considered abnormal for it to consume some oil. You can't pump that much oil around an engine and splash it around as much as the rotating components of an engine do, and not expect at least some of it to get sucked out the PCV hose.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by GIJoeCam
But the ford specs have said otherwise for more than a decade. My 97 drank a quart every 3k. My '00 drinks a quart every 5k in the summertime, less in the wintertime, and more if I head out to the sand dunes. It's not considered abnormal for it to consume some oil. You can't pump that much oil around an engine and splash it around as much as the rotating components of an engine do, and not expect at least some of it to get sucked out the PCV hose.
TRUE. All trucks burn oil. If somebody tells you that theirs doesn't, then their engine is magic! A couple quarts between changes isn't that bad, and it will get better with age. Just wait until the engine breaks in good.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:14 PM
My new F 150 (OCT 22nd) had it's first oil change in NOV and now I am close to 3000 miles on this change.The stick is not down at all from the mark in NOV.The long run from Vancouver B.C. to Apache Jct broke it in with the factory oil and I DO NOT expect a new engine ( after break in) to burn oil.
My last car was a Crown Vic and it would burn a little after 120,000 miles,although it shouldn't have, as I changed oil every 4000 miles and always used top grade oils.
My next change on the F-150,5.4, will be 5/30 Mobile 1, and it will run on syn until it craters.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kawken
My new F 150 (OCT 22nd) had it's first oil change in NOV and now I am close to 3000 miles on this change.The stick is not down at all from the mark in NOV.The long run from Vancouver B.C. to Apache Jct broke it in with the factory oil and I DO NOT expect a new engine ( after break in) to burn oil.
My last car was a Crown Vic and it would burn a little after 120,000 miles,although it shouldn't have, as I changed oil every 4000 miles and always used top grade oils.
My next change on the F-150,5.4, will be 5/30 Mobile 1, and it will run on syn until it craters.
It would be best to stay with the recommended oil viscosity.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:27 PM
I'll agree that all engine's burn a little bit of oil. But on a $40k truck it shouldn't burn that much oil in between oil changes. I could see maybe 1/3 or a quart or maybe less but not a full quart. I'm wondering do you see any blue smoke out the pipe, or no?

James

Old 02-10-2007, 01:02 AM
Originally Posted by kawken
The stick is not down at all from the mark in NOV.The long run from Vancouver B.C. to Apache Jct broke it in with the factory oil and I DO NOT expect a new engine ( after break in) to burn oil.
Well if it burned 2 quarts what would you do? Take it back and ask for your money? The dealer will say

Originally Posted by JForestZ34
I'll agree that all engine's burn a little bit of oil. But on a $40k truck it shouldn't burn that much oil in between oil changes. I could see maybe 1/3 or a quart or maybe less but not a full quart. I'm wondering do you see any blue smoke out the pipe, or no?

James
A couple quarts between changes probably isn't enough to make smoke.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:32 PM
Unhappy my 05 too

my 05' 5.4 3v consumes 1qt of mobil 1 every 1000 miles or less, motorcraft every 2000 1 qt. dealer says thats normal i think thats crap.i have a 99 5.4 2valve 260k no oil consuption mobil 1, i question motor !
58k already all highway

Old 02-13-2007, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by Fisher
my 05' 5.4 3v consumes 1qt of mobil 1 every 1000 miles or less, motorcraft every 2000 1 qt. dealer says thats normal i think thats crap.i have a 99 5.4 2valve 260k no oil consuption mobil 1, i question motor !
58k already all highway

I'm not saying I agree with their specs, I'm simply re-stating the info from the owner's manual. Your '05 uses less than 1 qt in 1800 miles, so as far as Ford is concerned, it's not out of spec.

-Joe

Old 02-13-2007, 06:01 PM
whats better

ford covers there a** with that statement. so do you run full sythetic 5w 30 to control consumption, must not be tight if it consumes this much they wont warranty it anyway. 1 qt every 1000 miles with mobil 1 doesn't qualify as under 1800 miles

Old 02-13-2007, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by Fisher
ford covers there a** with that statement. so do you run full sythetic 5w 30 to control consumption, must not be tight if it consumes this much they wont warranty it anyway. 1 qt every 1000 miles with mobil 1 doesn't qualify as under 1800 miles
Then take it back to the dealership, log your complaint, and let them start an oil consumption test. If they find that the oil consumption exceeds the threshold set forth in the service manual, they will take the necessary corrective action to get it fixed.

Keep in mind, however, that the first thing they're going to do is change the oil, fill it with Motorcraft semi-syn 5W-20, mark the level on the dipstick, and send you on the way with instructions to check it weekly and come back when the level reaches the low mark on the stick.

-Joe

Old 02-13-2007, 06:42 PM
oil consumtion

already went in for motorcraft change 3 weeks ago,today dealer service rep told me that was typical 1 qt motorcraft every 2000 miles (which it is using)but could not tell me where the oil goes ,says cant test exhaust. just says its consumed, I would like to slow consumption down, but they state that 30 w wont run through motor,really just looking for advice.have one great truck my first which spoiled me 99 5.4 260k still runs great. same driving full synthetic 5 w 30 maybe should put in this motor too 05 5.4 3v

thanks for replies

Quick Reply: 2005 F150 High Oil Consumption