Are throttle body spacers worth it...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i wasn't sayin a smooth bore spacer will always give you more power,shoulda been more specific. its just like cams,t/b and exhaust. if you add the right combinations you will see an increase. and when i said 4 or 5 h/p that would be with the right combinations. i'm no expert on any of this,but from my observations and personal experience that is my opinion on the t/b spacer subject. its like the 1" spacer i put on my 76',it did seem to make it run a little stronger but i didn't dyno it so i have no idea if it actually did. however,i did put a helix spacer on my 00' and it did nothin but whistle. i took it off,whistling stopped. i installed it again,whistling came back and again no power. took it off again and the whistling continued,confused the hell outa me. i guess it stopped after a while i quit noticing it. the spacer will change the flow characteristics and increase velocity,thus giving you more bottom end/mid range but then can hinder flow in the upper rpm range and take away some top end. i could be wrong,again,i'm no expert.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:36 PM
The throttle body spacer will not help. It is used to add length to the intake runner for more volume. But when you install an extra inch to an intake runner that is already 3 feet long, you are not doing jack. There will not be enough volume difference to be noticed.

And as for Way Fast Witey's comment, water and air do act alike since both are considered fluids. I agree that when you add a turbulence or helical flow to a fluid, it will slow the velocity which is not what we are wanting.

Last edited by 4X4ALLTHEWAY; 02-01-2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:52 PM
i meant they don't flow the same when in the same space you have to displace air,like the little tornado demonstration.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Matt****son
well i already have one on my truck and im convinced to take it off...where can i get some new gaskets for my throttle body after i take the spacer off...?
Just use silicon gasket maker.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:22 PM
i took the throttle body and i can actually feel more power since i took it off...and my flowmaster's are louder when i idle...thanks everyone for all your help with this...

Old 02-03-2007, 02:25 AM
ok, i'm not trying to start anything here (last time I posted a TB thread, it turned ugly), but I had originally posted this for Mike T. hoping he might have some input. I didnt feel a power difference either way (TB on or off) but I did see a difference in my MPGs when I peformed this little experiment of mine:

"I'm not sure how often you visit the other areas so I'm posting this here. I hope you (or anyone else) can chime in on this: I used my Edge evo to monitor my AMPGs for a week after I removed my TB spacer. The most I was able to get was 13.3 AMPGs by the end of the week of highway and freeway driving. I then put the TB spacer back on and by the second day I was already getting 13.9 AMPGs and was able to get 16.2 by the end of the week of the same type of driving. The TB spacer I'm using is even one of those cheapy ones found on ebay. Any ideas why?"

I'm just trying to understand why this happened.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:52 AM
I put a jett throttle body spacer and k@n fipk on at the same time and it's a amazing difference on my 94 5.0 with 295 000 km motor and also made the tranny shift better. BUT when I took the throttle body of to install the spacer the gasket was leaking between the 2 bores. The throttle body and intake had a black sludge on it,I also found that there was black crude in the duct work. I cleaned all this stuff up and with the gasket leaking maybe this was hurting the performance of the engine. Any way doing all this stuff and installing the throttle body space and K@N FIPK made my truck 5.0 a LOT BETTER.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:43 PM
Thanks ONELOWF for directing me here. I aint gonna waist any money on them now ...thanks again

Quick Reply: Are throttle body spacers worth it...?