First self oilchange Triton 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 12:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First self oilchange Triton 5.4

OK I have about 5000 miles on a new 2006 and soon will be dumping in 7 qts of Mobile 1- 10/30. I have done 95% of the oil changes on my cars and trucks and motorcycles over the past 62 years ( but did not start until perhaps 14). As I look at the poor filter location I wonder what the trick is to complete the change in a nice CLEAN manner. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Oil out of the pan is no big deal and oh-yah I have a K&N filter ready to go. Thanks KEN

There is plastic under the filter is it necessary to remove this to gain access to drop the filter without making a HUGE mess????My wife's 05 Honda Civia is a PIA as the oil drips down the rear of the motor due to its location. I sometime wish for my old 65 Chev Impala and my 81 Chev Station Wagon..KEN

Last edited by kawken; 01-22-2007 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it is like mine I like to loosen filter from base + pull filter away from base slightly letting majority of oil from base + filter drain straight down to catch pan then go ahead pull filter the rest of the way out.

Old 01-22-2007, 12:34 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i have not seen the location of the 04+ style, but i know my 97 has me wholly irritated EVERY time i change the oil... its located right above my front diff, my way around it was a "plate" from work.

all this "plate" actually is, just a piece of sheet metal (aluminum) and i cut it up to fit up under the tie rods with the wheel cranked to the left. butting up against the block and dropping out just past the bottle jack tab. overall length of my home made funnels about 28". width is about 21"

i have used cardboard before, it works too. its just not as pretty to re-use as a metal is.

Quick Reply: First self oilchange Triton 5.4