Whats my towing capacity?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 09:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
auto's tow more than manuals because auto's make alot more torque. but the big factor is how good are your brakes? thats what they generaly use to rate the trucks. which is why the 5.4 and 4.6 have almost the same towing capacity. because they use the same brakes.. stoppin is more important than the power to pull it.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
Joe, I don't know if your referring to me but towing and loading are two different things.... snip
No, sorry, I wasn't clear... I was responding to the original post. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm with you 100% on the actual versus theoretical towing capacity numbers. My point was just that the capacities are listed in the owner's manual (which nobody ever seems to have or read anymore).

-Joe

Old 01-18-2007, 10:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Faster150
auto's tow more than manuals because auto's make alot more torque. but the big factor is how good are your brakes? thats what they generaly use to rate the trucks. which is why the 5.4 and 4.6 have almost the same towing capacity. because they use the same brakes.. stoppin is more important than the power to pull it.
Uuuuh, no.... Brakes are but one piece of the puzzle. The 4.2 F-150 with the manual trans has the same brakes as the 5.4L automatic, but the towing capacity ranges from 1900 lbs to 7300 lbs depending on cab selection, bed length, fuel capacity, wheel size, gear ratio, and whether or not it's a 4x4. That's why every owner's manual has a table that covers your particular combination of cab, driveline, and engine combination.

They don't just pull these numbers out of the air...

Old 01-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
Ford has never made a manual tranny Screw ever. And the only 2007 availble with a stick is a V-6.
Go figure. I got all my info from F150.net. After checking the "Build Your Own" at the official FOMOCO website, sure enough as soon as you select any thing other than the v-6 in any half-ton model (yes, I know, no v-6 in the 3/4 ton's and up, but you can get a stick I believe...) an immediate change to an automatic is required. No wonder Ford keeps losing market share...

Concerning older models, I'm a little confused I think. Many people refer to their trucks as Screw's on here. I believe most folks are refering to an extended cab model of a Ford truck, however I think they are doing so incorrectly. From what I have seen, an Screw, or I presume, SuperCrew, is likely a true four-door (all doors open towards the front, no half doors). I can believe there have never been any manual tranny Super Crews. However, I personally have driven a pre-2000 (not sure exact year, wasn't my truck, but was the new body style) that was a 2 wheel drive, manual tranny 4.6 liter.

Sorry for the confusion,

Mike

Old 01-20-2007, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by mrainey889
Go figure. I got all my info from F150.net. After checking the "Build Your Own" at the official FOMOCO website, sure enough as soon as you select any thing other than the v-6 in any half-ton model (yes, I know, no v-6 in the 3/4 ton's and up, but you can get a stick I believe...) an immediate change to an automatic is required. No wonder Ford keeps losing market share...

Concerning older models, I'm a little confused I think. Many people refer to their trucks as Screw's on here. I believe most folks are refering to an extended cab model of a Ford truck, however I think they are doing so incorrectly. From what I have seen, an Screw, or I presume, SuperCrew, is likely a true four-door (all doors open towards the front, no half doors). I can believe there have never been any manual tranny Super Crews. However, I personally have driven a pre-2000 (not sure exact year, wasn't my truck, but was the new body style) that was a 2 wheel drive, manual tranny 4.6 liter.

Sorry for the confusion,

Mike
Mike, The previous body style (97 - 03) F-150 had the stick available in 4.2 and 4.6 XL and XLT trucks, except SuperCrews. I have only seen ONE F-150 stick that I would have bought, but it wasn't for sale. It was a XLT 4.6 Ext cab 4x4. As for the Superduty's, the ZF6 stick is availble behind ALL of the motors, in ALL cab configurations, and the three original trim levels (XL, XLT, and Lariat).

Old 01-20-2007, 09:59 PM
.........no delete function

Last edited by InstantGrits; 01-20-2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:27 PM
Well here is my ride... 2001 F150 4X4, 4.6 V8, 5-Speed Manual transmission

http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger...9/DSCF0702.jpg
http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger...ur%20house.jpg

Last edited by Arkas; 01-22-2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:15 PM
Blah, Blah, Blah. Just hook up and go!

Old 01-23-2007, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by chester8420
Blah, Blah, Blah. Just hook up and go!

nice picture, must be hard on gas towing that sucker
lol

Quick Reply: Whats my towing capacity?