Whistle problem log

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 f-150 4x4
i have the same problem . it will wine while in park on cold days and even when i drive it. the wine will follow the rpms. but only for about 15 min. i have to let it warm up for 15 min and it will be fine. i had it looked at and was told that it was the power steering pump. it crys like a bit#h untill it gets up to operating temp. the wine only happens in cold weather . does not happen to me in spring summer or fall.

try turning your wheels when its doing it and see if it gets louder?

hope that helps

Old 12-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Something else to think about and im not sure if anyone else has mentioned it....BUT if you have a custom grill like what comes from carriage works. Every time i have replaced my stock griille and put one of those in it has a slight whistle going down the highway at a certain speed. Ford actually replaced my windshield once because they couldnt figure it out. Put the stock back in..No whistle...custom in...whistle....Ill deal with it, its not horrible. Thoses seals around your windows when it gets really cold with get hard and you will hear the wind going over them too.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought my whistle was my electronics.. aka aternator and such... what mine seems to be, gets lower pitch with acessories off

Old 12-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by pappastangle06
97 f-150 4x4
i have the same problem . it will wine while in park on cold days and even when i drive it. the wine will follow the rpms. but only for about 15 min. i have to let it warm up for 15 min and it will be fine. i had it looked at and was told that it was the power steering pump. it crys like a bit#h untill it gets up to operating temp. the wine only happens in cold weather . does not happen to me in spring summer or fall.

try turning your wheels when its doing it and see if it gets louder?

hope that helps
Yea, that's a common problem. If you flush your PS out by disconnecting the lines and add RP or Amsoil in it's place, that will quiet her down quite a bit

Old 12-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by midwestoffroad
1. 2005
2. F150 crew
3. 5.4
4. S-B CAI
5. below 30 degrees Fahrenheit

out of the blue i developed a whistle CANT NOT be heard with engine at idle or reving in park . ust at speed (constant) so maintaining 30 or 55 mph you here it and it is loud at times. when it does happen if you throttle it or let off the pedal it will go away at speed if you coast you wont hear it.

just a update it is still there i notice if it does it in drive and the truck shifts into OD it will go away. and i heard it mention it sounds like rubbing your finger on the brim of a wine glass. or a whining of a worn u-joint, but isnt constant.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:34 PM
Hey all, new member here.

I have on 06 Expy with the 5.4 and it does the same thing but only in cold weather. I bought it last year in November and noticed the noise, but then forgot about it until winter finally arrived this year and it started up again. I found this forum when I googled the problem.

Some interesting theories and results. I will speak to my mechanic about it let everyone know if we solve the problem. The good news is it doesn't sound like anything too serious.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:28 AM
I got this problem now, what is it tension er or alternator?
is the tension er hard to change?

Old 03-28-2012, 08:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
im bettin the reaper didnt get this thread. and read through bud!

Old 04-02-2012, 06:50 AM
belt tensioner was gone

Old 04-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Whistling noise

My 2005 Screw with a 5.4 was getting that whistling noise at part thtottle. If I stepped on it, the noise would go away. Checked everything under the hood, finally changed the alternator and no more noise since then.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KH150
My 2005 Screw with a 5.4 was getting that whistling noise at part thtottle. If I stepped on it, the noise would go away. Checked everything under the hood, finally changed the alternator and no more noise since then.
Older thread, I know, but has anyone thought about the foam gasket on the engine air filter tray? When I bought my 5.4 a month ago, it was completely rotted away. Weather was warmer then, and no whistle. I've since replaced the gasket with house weather stripping, but didn't get the sides quite long enough so that you can still see a little bit of the filter. I get a whistle now in cold (~freezing or less) weather that is very loud. I think it's coming from the little bit that I didn't cover with the weather stripping. I'm going to re-do it and see if that takes care of the problem. From what I've seen on the forums, this gasket disintegrating is a very common problem.

Quick Reply: Whistle problem log