2003 5.4 starting issues HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 5.4 starting issues HELP!

About 6 months before my warranty timed out, I noticed that my 2003 5.4 would occasionaly be hard to start, sometimes taking 2 to 3 attempts. Of course, the dealer could never duplicate it. Warranty has been out for 4 months. The truck had been sitting in the garage for 3 days when I went to start it this morning. Turns over normally, tries to fire but just can't do it. Tried for 30 minutes off and on to start the damned thing. Finally called the dealer and had the rollback out to get it. At the get go I remind them that I had this problem when the truck was under warranty and that they never could find anything wrong. I was informed that the tech got the truck started by holding the gas pedal to the floor and that now it would start normally. They also stated that since I had an aftermarket air filter (Amsoil oil type) that Ford really didn't like that (warranty issues) and that they thought that some of the oil from the filter had "got into the system and was causing the problem". The damn filter has been on the truck 2 months and isn't oiled excessively. Amsoil Tech Services weren't much help when I called them to ask if this was possible. To make this long story short, I eneded up paying $107.00 for the rollback and "vehicle checkout" and was told that after calling Ford they didn't have a clue. I drove off, made several stops, and on the third start, it was hard to start again. Anyone had this problem or have any ideas of what the hell is going on?

Thanks

Old 12-15-2006, 01:25 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Your asking for comment and opinion so here goes, since a I can't know what the specific problem is.
Does the engine fire if you hold the throttle wide open?
If yes, the engine is flooded. Lack if ignition while the injectors are still putting/or excessive fuel into the engine. This says that there would be a specific ignition or fuel problem because both ignition and fuel injection are base triggered by the same rotation sensors.
If no fire, there is another reason such as possibly PATS signalling to the PCM is missing.
If you encounter a no start. Turn on the ignition key and wait several minutes for PATS to time out and into it's fault detection mode. If it finds a problem, it's lamp will flash a code, then go with the fault discription.
The base problem direction has to be found then work on finding the fault.
Sorry for the involved dessertion but you or whoever works on the problem has to look at it in somewhat the same manner.
Understanding is the key. Replacing the parts is the easy, after that.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 12-15-2006 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:38 PM
One other suggestion is to replace the air filter with an OEM filter. I doubt it's the cause, but Ford can't point fingers, then.

Usually, when dealerships question add-on parts or other modifications, it's called "buying time". That can work against you.

Old 12-15-2006, 08:35 PM
I agree, the K/N is not doing anything for you. Put an OEM back in and clean up the air meter to eliminate that possible cause.

Old 12-16-2006, 08:22 AM
The air filter has been replaced. The truck had sat for several days, I never touch the pedal during start up, so I don't see how the engine could be flooded. The engine tried to fire butwould not. It started only after the pedal was held to the floor. Does this not sound like a fuel delivery problem?

Old 12-16-2006, 01:37 PM
Fuel injection dosn't work like carburation. If the throttle is pumped, it dosn't put fuel into the engine.
At cold start the computer looks at the cold values of the ECT and IAT.
This sets the amount of fuel as well as opens the IAC. This allows all the right conditions for near perfect starting without touching the throttle.
If there is some fault with any part of this operation, the start will have some kind of difficulty.
As the engine is cranked, fuel is injected without reguard to throttle position "except"at WOT. At WOT fuel injection is cut off. This give you a chance to clear fuel out of the cylinders enough for ignition to take hold.
These observations are used to make a decision on what the fault might be.
These things are the basis of the questions.
If the engine fires at WOT then there was to much fuel flooding the plugs.
This would suggest ignition is working and there is a fuel delivery problem of some sort.
The crank sensor and cam position sensor are the references that operate the ignition and fuel injection.
You seem to have both but one is out of control.
Respectfully, you can keep justifying your position instead of looking at the ways a faulure occurrs, or enjoy the ongoing problem.
The dealer dosn't want to do it, so we are trying for you. You have to take charge of it now.
Good luck.

Old 12-16-2006, 08:56 PM
Bluegrass,
I'm not trying to justify my position and I understand that pumping the throttle doesn't deliver fuel in a fuel injected vehicle. I'm sorry that I didn't quite grasp your first post. Thanks for clarifying it though. The computer operation is what is bumfuddling me. I didn't know that WOT cut out the fuel injection which is why I didn't understand the flooding explanation. Are the crank sensor and cam position sensor the most likely culprits? You hit my other problem right on the head, the dealer apparently doesn't want to deal with it or dosen't understand the vehicle. It would seem that if they had to floor the throttle to get it to start, it would be apparent to them that something was out of kilter. Unfortunately for me, it's an intermittent problem and it's a "works good now" deal for them. Thanks for the help.
Mike

Last edited by 37driver; 12-16-2006 at 08:59 PM.

Quick Reply: 2003 5.4 starting issues HELP!