Seafoam - how to use?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does it really work? any negative side effects?

Old 12-14-2006, 08:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by HiVoltage14.4
Yeah, from what I've heard - I tried it awhile ago figuring it may clean areas that I couldn't get to, I clean all my stuff by hand so I didn't notice anything personaly, mine was somewhat clean at the time, but many others have.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:39 PM
Possible negative side effect, hydrolocking your engine if you don't follow instructions. Not likely but I've' heard of guys on the Explorer forums doing it or maybe it was their "friends" that did it.

Old 12-15-2006, 08:19 AM

you might notice dizziness, decreased sperm count, and if u sustain an erection for more than 6 hours u should seek medical attention. seafoam is not for everybody but people should not use seafoam if they have a previous history of stroke, heart attack, obesity, high blood pressure, homosexuality or any other illness.

Old 12-15-2006, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by chester8420
What's wrong with your truck?
jbrew got it right. I had some EGR problems that seem to kind of come and go. Replaced sensor, valve (twice), and had the throttle body cleaned. TB was cleaned at a shop and not sure how good of a job they actually did. Long story short they were already replacing my power steering hose at the time so I had them clean the TB as well. The only thing (or remaining part to throw at the problem) is the solenoid, which I might do this weekend. I think they are pretty cheap and should be farliy quick, also weather might be nice.

We are in the process of moving in to a house and apartment complex is a little strict on certain things, like using the parking lot as a garage. So far they have not said a whole lot to me. Also other then the basic screw driver and a couple of wrenches, all my tools are in the back of the garage which is being used as storage. I've already had to buy a new socket wrench, a couple of sockets, vice grips, and a few other small things just to do the valve, sensor, and a couple of other minor things. I hate buying things when I know I have it somewhere. Guess this is what happens when you plan on being in an apartment for 3 months that ends up being 7. Don't even get me started on having to dig out the winter clothes; because we were suppose to be in the house by the fall, or the damn Christmas decorations. To add to my procrastination for cleaning the TB and elbow, its college football season, which is coming to a close. Maybe I should have just run a long extension cord and coax from the apartment to the parking lot and done it while watching some football.

So to fully answer your question, I was going to try and "band-aid" the problem until we get in the house and I can remove the throttle body and elbow myself and clean them. I'm no mechanic by any means, but feel that with enough time I could get it off cleaned and back on (notice never said truck would be running after ).

Probably more info then you wanted.

Old 12-15-2006, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Faster150
you might notice dizziness, decreased sperm count, and if u sustain an erection for more than 6 hours u should seek medical attention. seafoam is not for everybody but people should not use seafoam if they have a previous history of stroke, heart attack, obesity, high blood pressure, homosexuality or any other illness.

Or even worse , you might even get disillusioned and think a 4.6 stands a chance at beating a 5.4 if yuh over do it

Old 12-15-2006, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by reese006
jbrew got it right. I had some EGR problems that seem to kind of come and go. Replaced sensor, valve (twice), and had the throttle body cleaned. TB was cleaned at a shop and not sure how good of a job they actually did. Long story short they were already replacing my power steering hose at the time so I had them clean the TB as well. The only thing (or remaining part to throw at the problem) is the solenoid, which I might do this weekend. I think they are pretty cheap and should be farliy quick, also weather might be nice.

We are in the process of moving in to a house and apartment complex is a little strict on certain things, like using the parking lot as a garage. So far they have not said a whole lot to me. Also other then the basic screw driver and a couple of wrenches, all my tools are in the back of the garage which is being used as storage. I've already had to buy a new socket wrench, a couple of sockets, vice grips, and a few other small things just to do the valve, sensor, and a couple of other minor things. I hate buying things when I know I have it somewhere. Guess this is what happens when you plan on being in an apartment for 3 months that ends up being 7. Don't even get me started on having to dig out the winter clothes; because we were suppose to be in the house by the fall, or the damn Christmas decorations. To add to my procrastination for cleaning the TB and elbow, its college football season, which is coming to a close. Maybe I should have just run a long extension cord and coax from the apartment to the parking lot and done it while watching some football.

So to fully answer your question, I was going to try and "band-aid" the problem until we get in the house and I can remove the throttle body and elbow myself and clean them. I'm no mechanic by any means, but feel that with enough time I could get it off cleaned and back on (notice never said truck would be running after ).

Probably more info then you wanted.

You have allot of drama You'll get her fixed .... someday

Kidding

Good Luck

Old 12-15-2006, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by jbrew
You have allot of drama You'll get her fixed .... someday

Kidding

Good Luck

That's only half the story too. Try having your builder back out of the contact on your house 2 weeks before you are suppose to close. Reason, he didn't want to undo his mistakes, which we had documentation to prove he was wrong. Oddly enough house is sold 2 weeks later for 15k more then what we were going to pay for it.

Hmmm you think he already had a buyer for it.......

Old 12-15-2006, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Or even worse , you might even get disillusioned and think a 4.6 stands a chance at beating a 5.4 if yuh over do it

yeh lol alot of 5.4 guys do use Seafoam lol i never found the need for it.. its just snake oil

Old 12-15-2006, 11:59 AM
i just use dot 3 brake fluid it works just fine for me and a lot cheaper

Old 12-15-2006, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Faster150
yeh lol alot of 5.4 guys do use Seafoam lol i never found the need for it.. its just snake oil

I use pipe-cleaners and elbow grease - this problem here is a 4.6 one mostly for some reason - I won't theorize why , but I have them. Plus , I haven't heard of one person on this board who tune up there COP system - we do this on michigan - at one time everyone around here told me to do it - which I ignored and I paid for a long time in milage and perfornance, some things get learned the hard way - but this is one reason the TB gets fouled. I take that back , some have followed instruction - I made it easy and found trhat COP deal link - well I posted it anyway early this year.
I owe 200,00 miles and a healthy as motor to just proper maintenece - it's not all simple , just proper - it must be . Didn't mean to go long LOL -

Old 12-15-2006, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by icefisherman
i just use dot 3 brake fluid it works just fine for me and a lot cheaper

heh thats some corrosive stuff

Old 12-16-2006, 02:47 AM
Originally Posted by reese006
If you plan on sucking seafoam through your brake booster hose, it won't even touch your IAC valve, your EGR valve, your DPFE sensor, or most of your throttle body. (especially the top end where the EGR ports are) So it's kinda a waste of time.

I have heard of people soaking briggs, and weedeater carbs in seafoam, and using it as parts cleaner.

Will the truck run? Is it running good? Are there any codes?

If you're getting an EGR code, ignore it. Your truck will run fine without it.

Old 12-16-2006, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by chester8420
If you plan on sucking seafoam through your brake booster hose, it won't even touch your IAC valve, your EGR valve, your DPFE sensor, or most of your throttle body. (especially the top end where the EGR ports are) So it's kinda a waste of time.

I have heard of people soaking briggs, and weedeater carbs in seafoam, and using it as parts cleaner.

Will the truck run? Is it running good? Are there any codes?

If you're getting an EGR code, ignore it. Your truck will run fine without it.

That's correct , I said this way back on the other post - Allot of people plug them and bypass everything - I tried , you can. I hooked back up because I never had a problem in 200,000 miles - but I clean mine. I have to say that I never heard this type of seafoam input before , I really don't need it, so I don't know. Just going by all that I've read..

Old 12-16-2006, 04:39 AM
I'm tired and grumpy.

Quick Reply: Seafoam - how to use?