4:10 gears or Line-X Whole Truck With My Tax Return?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 08:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Gears. Over time that LineX will probably start too look like crap too. These little 4.6's need all the help they can get. No brainer to me.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Line-X will add a bunch of weight. GO GEARS!

Old 12-05-2006, 10:17 PM
It sounds like regearing a 4x4 is a PITA. I'm going to see if I can find a local shop I trust and price it out. Line-X will add about 120 lbs total.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by Jackal
Another downfall to the Line-X...it adds about 120lbs. I was worried about dirt getting in there, but haven't really seen any good used Xtra spray'd beds. Got any?

...but this is what it would look like:

For about a year, at the most.

I have Line-X (done in Brownwood TX) and it looks NOTHING like that anymore. Some of the areas (the center of the bed, tops of the fenders, etc) have paint showing through now. Not from wear either, just from parking outside in the sun while I'm working. It looked nice and shiny black for about a year. Now it's just a chalky dark gray (4 years later).

Rhino does the same thing. A friend of mine did his old Range Rover, top to bottom, in a dark green about 5 years ago. It looks like absolute s^^t now.

Old 12-06-2006, 03:27 AM
Adam,

You have seen my line-x and if you wanna see it again just call me. I would recommend not doing the line-x to your truck... I can never get the dirt out of the bed completely and I assume it would be the same with your truck if you care. Also, the resale value (some day you might want to sell it, even if it is a long time) will probably be hard even if it is old to find a buyer that will pay what the truck is worth at that time. You guys in the new shop yet? How is everything else going?

Old 12-06-2006, 09:01 AM
What's up Scott? I need to hook up with you for some more T-shirts. Nope, not moving yet...no idea when of course. :o

TritonPWR, did you get the new Xtra or just regular Line-X? That's my problem, I've seen regular Line-X and know it looks like crap over time, but with Nason or Xtra, this is suppose to be a thing of the past. In fact, Line-X gives you a lifetime guarantee against fading with Xtra. It's suppose to look like it did the day they spray'd it for the life of your vehicle no questions asked. Wouldn't it be nice to have that same warranty on your paint? ...it's the trapped dirt that sort of concerns me. Black shows EVERYTHING anyway, but if I can't get it clean fairly easily...not good. I'd think a pressure sprayer would blast it out of there though.

...even if you didn't get Xtra, I think I'd be taking it back for a fix. May have gotten a sub-par spray job...??? Should have gone to TruckGasm in Ft. Worth. I'm considering the trip from Missouri myself.

Last edited by Jackal; 12-06-2006 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:47 AM
Hey Adam, I missed this thread, just let me know if you want some shirts sometime. Going to Truckgasm sounds good, he knows like he knows his stuff, and even though it is a bit of a trip, its not that bad and worth it if he can do it better then anyone up here if Line-X is the mod you choose.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would go for the gears with a locker if it was me.
Going from 355s to 410s made it feel like I dropped a new motor in the truck!

Phil

Old 12-30-2006, 09:42 AM
I seem to remember reading somewhere that they can change the roughness of the line-x spray to make it as rough or smooth as you want(to a degree). You might want to look into that cause if they can do that then it wouldnt hold the dirt like the line-x in most peoples beds. Its because it is rough so stuff wont slide around that it holds dirt and if they can make it smooth or almost smooth(think different grits sandpaper) then that would solve the dirt problem and if they have a lifetime garuntee against it fading then....well you get the picture.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by phil6608
I would go for the gears with a locker if it was me.
Going from 355s to 410s made it feel like I dropped a new motor in the truck!

Phil
Really? What truck do you have? I'm wondering if it actually "feels" like more power (and how much) or if it just makes the truck feel lighter. I've been leaning toward gears lately, and this helps. Sucks that a locker is $500 more and I really can't justify not doing it once I have everything torn out of there ya know...

ingrain, I didn't even think about that...if it had more of a glossy rippled texture, I'd probably jump all over it. The porous rough texture I'm use to seeing has sort of turned me off on this mod...but I'll look more into it once I have the check in hand.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really? What truck do you have? I'm wondering if it actually "feels" like more power (and how much) or if it just makes the truck feel lighter. I've been leaning toward gears lately, and this helps. Sucks that a locker is $500 more and I really can't justify not doing it once I have everything torn out of there ya know...

ingrain, I didn't even think about that...if it had more of a glossy rippled texture, I'd probably jump all over it. The porous rough texture I'm use to seeing has sort of turned me off on this mod...but I'll look more into it once I have the check in hand.
I have an 03 Screw with the 5.4 I put the 410s in for racing and went with a Ford limited slip dif(about 200)It's holding up just fine.
The truck felt lighter and like it had more power.I have a lot of mods and that was one of the best ones!

Phil

Old 12-30-2006, 02:10 PM
Awesome, I didn't know you could use a Ford LS with aftermarket 4.10's...that would help a lot with the price. I think my 4.6 would really like the gears with my open exhaust & less torque and all, and being a heavy 4x4 it only makes sense. Since I started this thread I have been winding the truck out a little more shifting at 3,000 + RPM and it does pull a LOT harder above 3K.

Since I have the 5-speed and can control my shift points, does this lessen the need or make this mod any less necessary? Sure, they will help a LOT, but probably not as noticeably as with an auto tranny.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:41 PM
Awesome, I didn't know you could use a Ford LS with aftermarket 4.10's...t

Since I have the 5-speed and can control my shift points, does this lessen the need or make this mod any less necessary? Sure, they will help a LOT, but probably not as noticeably as with an auto tranny.
I've got the Ford Racing LSD w/aftermarket 4.10 and there were not issues so you're good to go.

Shorter gears will benefit manual or autoboxes equally IMHO.
It could even be argued that you'll get more of a benefit with a manual since you don't have the torque-multipication of the torque converter.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Thanks again man, I don't know why I'm not getting these reply notifications.

Makes sense to me...I'll keep updates in this thread when / if I go for it. Any more thoughts / opinions welcome.

Last edited by Jackal; 01-04-2007 at 01:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 4:10 gears or Line-X Whole Truck With My Tax Return?