yet another p0340 & p0344 code post 2007 5.4 triton

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 04:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yet another p0340 & p0344 code post 2007 5.4 triton

ok, i know many of you know the tail, truck runs good, not perfect but good, then starts to shack & sudder, goose the throttle, it runs better but then starts to shake again,
and as fast as it appeared, the problem goes away.

so, this is my issue , i just bought the truck(no , you dont say, you mean someone sold a 2007 f150 with driveability problems, ? YUP) so it ran about 40 miles pretty well although shaking at around 60 mph buy itfelt more like an aggressive tire tread so didnt think much of it, so i get it home and next time i drive it, it runs fine at first , just long enough for me to be out of my comfort zone for breakdown coverage, well i limped it home, stalling at each low speed turn, and shaking all over the place.i got it home and checked for codes, i have misfire codes, cam sensor codes, cam phaser codes, pretty much all those so i di some research and pulled the drivers side valve cover, checked the vct solenoid and it was brand new, ford part, oh boy this is going to suck for sure, obviously the previous owner changed the solenoid thinking this would solve the problem but nope, sorry charley. i checked the chain and it is not loose, what i did find was that the hall effect ring on the front of the cam phaser was bent and one of the ears/tabs/arms was interfearing with a stud that comes out of the front of the phaser(not sure what it is) so , i bent the ring back to clear the stud and put it back together. it ran fair, but not good and not confident in driving it. but in running diagnostics, found a dead cylinder #8. i i checked the plugs( drivers side, fortunetely they came out easy, they all looked ok, i moved the coil packs around and stil had a dead cylinder #8. i ordered new plugs and coils. today i cleared the dtc's and replaced the plugs/coils on the drivers side(only because it was easy) the truck ran very decent at this point, i took it out for a ride, got onthe highway and it was good, although a distinct shudder at 1500RPM but clears up around 1900RPMs. then i got off the highway, and got gas, while pulling into the station, it started acting up again, i checked for dtc's, nothing there, i got gas( $60 bucks, OUCH) and went to the store, i came out and ran the truck another mile and parked it for 30 minutes, stasrted it up and it ran like crap, code p0340 and p0344 pending, none stored, ran the truck home it ran ok on the higheway but when i slowed down it is stumbling all over the place. i got the truck home ,backed it up the driveway stumbling and stalling. code p0340 stored, p0340 & p0344 pending.

so, my question do you think the bent cam position ring be an issue? could it have damaged the cam phaser? i think there is a code for the cam phasers, right?

any help is much appreciated

oh, 1 more thing, the truck is a rebuilt salvage. i don;t know what was hit but it was enough to total the truck. i suspect the cam position ring got bent in the accident.

Attached Thumbnails yet another p0340 & p0344 code post 2007 5.4 triton-cam-phaser.jpg  
Old 03-30-2018, 09:34 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Quick Reply: yet another p0340 & p0344 code post 2007 5.4 triton