timing chain?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 03:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
timing chain?

hey everyone , just wondering ive heard ford recommends timing chain replacement at 100k for the 4.6 is this just ford trying to sucker us or.?? i had a dakota that timing chain would start slapping at 50k. mine runs great now. no slapping at 123k. just want to prevent any problems thanx in advance

Old 11-13-2006, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by keith97xlt
hey everyone , just wondering ive heard ford recommends timing chain replacement at 100k for the 4.6 is this just ford trying to sucker us or.?? i had a dakota that timing chain would start slapping at 50k. mine runs great now. no slapping at 123k. just want to prevent any problems thanx in advance
If the sprockets were the plastic tipped kind like GM used to use, absolutely. But these are straight up metal and they use very long chains which helps keep wear down. It's the rollers that go out of round and damage the sprockets, which damage the rollers, and on and on. But the more chain you have, the longer the set will last. Plus these chains have tensioners and they are wet. They will stretch slowly over time, the tensioner will take up the slack until it's out of its adjustment range. When it is out of its range, you will start hearing the chains slap against the cover. Then it's time for chains _and_ sprockets. I know of at least one 4.6 with the original chains at +400k miles, so I wouldn't worry about it unless you start hearing them slap.

Old 11-13-2006, 03:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanx, in the dakotas they didnt have the tensioner. i was always paranoid of it snapping and bending valves etc...

Old 11-13-2006, 04:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Over 300,000 miles on my original chain. Never had an issue. Never heard of an issue.

Quick Reply: timing chain?