Leak in radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leak in radiator?

Truck: 2001 F150XL V6
Ok so every 3 weeks or so i find that my temp gauge is going up and i check the coolant and there is none. I cant find a leak or maybe im just not looking hard enough. Where could the possible leaks be? i dont think its from a hose but i hope it just is. What would i need to replace? any help would be cool!
Thanks!

Last edited by MadAustinite; 10-31-2006 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by MadAustinite
Truck: 2001 F150XL V6
Ok so every 3 weeks or so i find that my temp gauge is going up and i check the coolant and there is none. I cant find a leak or maybe im just not looking hard enough. Where could the possible leaks be? i dont think its from a hose but i hope it just is. What would i need to replace? any help would be cool!
Thanks!
First off, how many miles on your rig? It sounds to me like a small leak.
If you have a coolant pressure tester, pressurize your system to the psi stated on the radiator cap, and start checking for leaks. Also, you can check the passenger side floorboard (inside). If the carpet/rubber mat is wet, more than likely the heater core is leaking. You can check all the hose connections......heater hoses, upper/lower radiator hose, t-stat housing, etc.
Good luck
Mike

Old 11-01-2006, 10:23 AM
its got 89,000 miles on it

Old 11-01-2006, 10:33 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Check your tail pipes after you have driven a ways to make sure condensation is burned out. If it is still dripping or you have smoke that looks like steam, you have a head gasket leak. I would think a system leak that is losing water that fast would leave evidence on the ground. That is why I suggest a head gasket. Another possibility is a rusted out freeze plug.

Quick Reply: Leak in radiator?