Dual Tanks - Front Fills VERY SLOW

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 06:22 PM
csonka
Dual Tanks - Front Fills VERY SLOW

When I fill my tanks, the rear one fills fine, meaning I can set the gas pump to self-pump.

The front tank is not the same story. I have to just barely squeeze the handle and it truickles in, taking forever to fill up. If I do queeze the pump handle the whole way, it will stop pumping and overflow.

This is exteremely annoyying. This was also the same story with my 89 F150 with dual tanks. What's the deal?

Old 10-17-2006, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybe the anti-siphon check ball has become stuck, the hose collapsed or came apart.I repaired a stuck check valve on a 91 once, front tank.Also,if the vent tube is clogged or collapsed, it will cause same symptons. hope this helps

Old 10-17-2006, 10:58 PM
csonka
Thanks for the reply. The tubes and hosing all look normal. Anyone else ever have this problem? BTW where do I find this ball?

Old 10-18-2006, 07:55 AM
You have to remove the fill hose, it is in the end by the tank inlet

Old 10-18-2006, 08:30 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Or a blocked vent tube.

Adrianspeeder

Old 10-18-2006, 09:33 AM
I had the same problem with a 95 Mustang. There is either a check ball, or in my case a flapper valve in the filler neck to stop fuel from spilling out if there is an accident. In my case the flapper valve would stick occasionally causing me to not be able to fill up. I'd pay my $1.50 and leave. Drive around for a while and some time later try again, and it would work fine.
If you have access remove any rubber lines from where you put the nozzle to where the tank is and there will be something in the system to stop gas from leaving the tank through an open fill nozzle.
My problem was a bent hinge pin on the flapper, from someone trying to syphon gas I think. Took it all apart and straightened the pin, no more filling problems. Not familiar with the check ball system but it could be someone has bent something by jamming into your filler neck. Might be an easy fix if you find the reverse flow apparatus.

Quick Reply: Dual Tanks - Front Fills VERY SLOW