Check Engine Light & Purge Control Valve??

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Check Engine Light & Purge Control Valve??

I own a 1997 Ford F150 xlt and the check engine light came on weeks ago but no problems were noticeable whatsoever. Now the truck is running very sluggishly and the engine vibrates and sound like it is struggling when I accelerate to higher RPM's and speeds. It starts up just fine and idles fine, it just gets sluggish when I accelerate. I took it to Autozone to have the codes read and all I got was a misfire code and a code signaling an electrical malfunction in the purge control valve. Does anyone know what that is or what else the problem could be. A friend mentioned replacing the air control sensor that leads into the fuel injection system, so would that be the same thing? Please send any helpful information on what else the problems could be. Some codes that were also read and came up, did not have information available with them. Such as the misfire. Didnt say where the misfire was, just that their was an error. Multiple errors.
Thanks in advance.

Old 10-15-2006, 09:10 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, you need to fix your misfire, obviously. The exact code numbers would help. The purge valve malfunction sounds like a vapor management valve code; in the interim, try unplugging it and seeing if you get any changes. It's on the firewall on the driver's side of the engine compartment, has two quick disconnect hoses, one small vacuum hose and one two wire electrical connector going to it, kinda circular in shape.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light & Purge Control Valve??