Engine Missing

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine Missing

I have a 1998 f-150 with a 4.6 and recently the motor started missing. I found the problem witch was a bad spark plug and changed all of them. Ran good for abuot 2 days then the same thing happend so i changed them again along with the wires. It still misses at idle and acceleration and it also smells like unburned gas and the spark plugs are still good. Anyone have any explinations for this.

Old 10-07-2006, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ford98
I have a 1998 f-150 with a 4.6 and recently the motor started missing. I found the problem witch was a bad spark plug and changed all of them. Ran good for abuot 2 days then the same thing happend so i changed them again along with the wires. It still misses at idle and acceleration and it also smells like unburned gas and the spark plugs are still good. Anyone have any explinations for this.
You may want to look at the coil packs. I would try those first.

Old 10-07-2006, 09:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ford98
Welcome ,
I can tell you exactly whats going on, That's allot of writing and I 've explained how and why many times , so have others . Tell you what , I 'tell you how to fix it , it's easier - This forums search bar is on top of this page - click it and type 'Misfire" find "Misfire - COP's deal" - Buy a set - install, your all set

The best possible explanation for what's going on - Search "Misfire" again and read a bit. Just replace all your COPs and be done with it or they give you a headache , there a beech to check....

When your truck shifts into overdrive( roughly 45mph) and you start to excellerate is when they usually miss - This is the load point(common) bad COPs will fail the most.

Search around on the site - Lots of great info for you to check out to do with your trucks specific problem.

It would also help to explain at what RPM it is missing, and give your milage

Good Luck

Last edited by jbrew; 10-07-2006 at 09:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine Missing