Sounds like it's outa time

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like it's outa time

Hi All new member here with a possible timing issue??? I have an '01 F-150 with a 4.6 V-6 and it seems to be out of timing? I realize that the timing is computer controlled so there are no adjustments that can be made. I have tried everything from Premium gas, fuel injector cleaner and even octane booster with nothing helping the problem. I checked plugs and wires and I'm stumped! Strangely enough I don't have this problem when it's raining!! Hope someone can help me out

Old 10-03-2006, 07:47 PM
Whats The Problem You Are Having????

Old 10-03-2006, 08:10 PM
outa time

bad pinging and lost power

Old 10-03-2006, 08:18 PM
4.6 V6 huh? Was that a special option? J/K Anyway, is your SES light on? It could be one of many things, blow-by, normal detenation (how many miles does your truck have?), EGR could be stuck, could have a lot of carbon buildup in the upper intake...ETC. Need more details...

Old 10-03-2006, 08:46 PM
Arrow

4.2L not 4.6 don't even know my own truck! I even tried GM top engine cleaner with no avail. the truck has 70,000 miles and I don't have any lights on the dash

Old 10-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Wow, lost power. Now there's a rare problem with only one definite easy and cheap solution.

It could be dozens of things. The computer could have codes stored even if the check engine light isn't on(though I've heard only Ford special machines can read these, generic testers won't get them).

"Clogged up works" comes to mind. Something's full of sh*t and blocking normal flow. Could be the throttle body. Injectors dirty or bad. Clogged gas/air filter. Stuck or crapped up sensors. You could get lucky and by chance fix the culprit, or you could be dealing with this forever and never find the problem

I didn't think there was "normal" detonation. A motor is either timed right, or it isn't. Having a too early/late spark is not "normal". My '71 Beetle motor with about a bazillion miles(about 50k on the road) on it, never being rebuilt didn't detonate, ping, or make odd noises(transaxle took care of that). No ECU, no type of computerization at all. There was actually a rotor driven off the camshaft under the cap, and one of those acid coils above it. Timing never needed adjustment. If that motor with about the most hellish life a motor can have didn't ping or detonate after being buried in snow, run dry of oil, had it's thermostat clipped off on a high log, and a very eeratic generator, nothing should. "They don't make 'em like they used to"

Old 10-03-2006, 09:40 PM
Thanks.. just trying to find out what could be causing the problem since I can't just twist the distributer around. I was reading something about cleaning the Mass air flow sensor and that may help

Trending Topics

Old 10-03-2006, 09:53 PM
Yes, the MAF sensor could be dirty. Be careful cleaning it, it's super-sensitive and easily messed up.

The O2 sensor could be faulty also. Check that out.

Most all sensors on a car can be checked with a standard multimeter. Poke around for what readings should be and how to test them.

Old 10-03-2006, 10:01 PM
Thanks! appreciate all the help...

Quick Reply: Sounds like it's outa time