5.4 Coil Packs Again

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 05:13 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by greenough1
I too have misfires with no codes. I did get a blinking CEL when accelerating hard that once I decelerated went off. If you drive enough after, then the codes clear. I had my truck on a scanner today and nothing showed up. Apparently the 01 ford software is pretty brain dead. It takes a really severe misfire condition to get any information. The mechanic's advise (who also owns an 01 expedition like mine)was to replace all COPs, as he did on his at 60k (the mileage when they start to die).

Best,
jeff

There you go - you have to do that twice within the same drivecycle to store sometimes. Exactly what I did - Blinking light , went and got it read - Nothing -It didn't store .
A couple days later , light came on and started blinking then went out. This is when I push the motor into doing it again . It was running real chitty and I gave it more gas , (at the time I was upset and didn't care that much about what I was doing) got up to about 90mph, spittin -n-sputtering the hole time, I got another flashing light - it stored that time.

Last edited by jbrew; 10-07-2006 at 05:15 AM.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright guys. Now last question, will they also fit my dads 1999 Ford Expedition. How hard to install alll 8?? Did the one already on my dads expedition...

Old 10-07-2006, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by 150Lariat2000
Alright guys. Now last question, will they also fit my dads 1999 Ford Expedition. How hard to install alll 8?? Did the one already on my dads expedition...

It's specified in there add what motors & vehicles there for , yours is in there .
The first time you do it, if you take your time and do it right about 3-4hrs .

Make sure not to forget to use dielectric grease or most likely, you'll being doing it again soon..

Good Luck

Old 10-07-2006, 11:39 PM
Well bought the packs of ebay tonight... Hopefully will be putting them in next week or the following, depends on time....

Old 10-08-2006, 02:34 AM

Well bought the packs of ebay tonight... Hopefully will be putting them in next week or the following, depends on time....
Did you get the kit (w/plugs) or COP'S only - If you purchased the kit , make sure you contact him to specify the exact Motorcraft plugs you need or you will get the wrong one's - For some reason he has a problem with that or get's confused , iduno why , but he still does.
Oh, If you do not here from him at all within three day's from when you purchased, feel free to email me , I'll show yuh how you can get them real fast lol - Well, hell I'll tell you now. Kevin didn't respond after my first purchase last spring - didn't verify my payment, Didn't advise me of a shipping date , no tracking number - No communication of any kind. After the third day past , I wrote him a pissed off letter . He responded to that with a question - "R u threatening me "? lol . I replied, "No, I do not need to go that far, because the next transaction your gonna make is refunding my money.. - Pay Pal's Awesome. Anyway he called my home phone around 2am the following day - %$#^&!! - gave me every excuse in the book , He 2nd day aired them to me the next day if I agrred to lift complaint.

Yes, that was crappy way to do buisness. Well, I've purchased three more kit's since(It's still the best deal that I've seen ) and talked once on the phone , not to long go - He's alright, has gotten back to me within 12 hrs - usually the same day. -that's about normal. - PayPal can freeze a sellers acount if you pay in full in a "buy it now" catagory . I shared my concern with Pay Pal and they got right on it. just let me know if have problems - Don't get me wrong , he's a good guy and most likey everything will go fine . I learned of a person haveing the same prob with him a week and and a half ago. Still waiting to here how that turned out , haven't herd anything yet -I 'm taking it , no news is good news on that one lol

Good luck with the truck

Last edited by jbrew; 10-08-2006 at 03:06 AM.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:26 PM
Here's another link to a COP supplier. I pinged the global_automotive guy about 1 week ago with a question and have not heard back. This link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...QQcmdZViewItem

also has COP's. He replied to a question within an hour or two. I think these are all the same (OEM). Probably made in the same chinese factory.

Just wanted to post another option for cheap COP's. I really didn't want to spend > $45 per COP!

jeff

Old 10-08-2006, 03:51 PM
So here goes...

I have owned my truck for three years and I managed to go two years without using my AC. Last year when I started usig my AC I started miss firing. I ran went to ford and had them read the error bits off my computer and sure enough I was not losing my mind. Above 2 or 3 coil overs there is a AC line that water will condense on. The water will drip down and cause shorts in the coils.

2,3 and 5 I believe were the coils that were replaced.

Hope that helps...

~k_day64

Old 10-08-2006, 04:46 PM

Here's another link to a COP supplier. I pinged the global_automotive guy about 1 week ago with a question and have not heard back. This link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...QQcmdZViewItem

also has COP's. He replied to a question within an hour or two. I think these are all the same (OEM). Probably made in the same chinese factory.

Just wanted to post another option for cheap COP's. I really didn't want to spend > $45 per COP!

jeff
-

That's no deal lol , Shoot I can get them from A&L down the street for
for $39 a piece - go 4 it ,

I don't understand, why would you pay $45 a piece when you can purchase the same thing for a little over $12 a piece. - Globales

You hit your head or what

Old 10-08-2006, 05:26 PM
jbrew,
I didn't hit my head, but maybe you did ;-) I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.

The link I posted has COP's for $13.50 per COP. That's only $1.00 more than your guy for COP's only. I'm not comparing his plug + COP sale.

I didn't spend $45 for a single COP, but that's what monument wants per COP. I bought from the guy for $13.50 per COP since he was prompt with replies and info.

Please read post more carefully, before posting.

Old 10-08-2006, 08:04 PM

jbrew,
I didn't hit my head, but maybe you did ;-) I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.

The link I posted has COP's for $13.50 per COP. That's only $1.00 more than your guy for COP's only. I'm not comparing his plug + COP sale.

I didn't spend $45 for a single COP, but that's what monument wants per COP. I bought from the guy for $13.50 per COP since he was prompt with replies and info.

Please read post more carefully, before posting.

I read it to fast I guess , misundersatnding -

Old 10-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Did you get the kit (w/plugs) or COP'S only - If you purchased the kit , make sure you contact him to specify the exact Motorcraft plugs you need or you will get the wrong one's - For some reason he has a problem with that or get's confused , iduno why , but he still does.
Oh, If you do not here from him at all within three day's from when you purchased, feel free to email me , I'll show yuh how you can get them real fast lol - Well, hell I'll tell you now. Kevin didn't respond after my first purchase last spring - didn't verify my payment, Didn't advise me of a shipping date , no tracking number - No communication of any kind. After the third day past , I wrote him a pissed off letter . He responded to that with a question - "R u threatening me "? lol . I replied, "No, I do not need to go that far, because the next transaction your gonna make is refunding my money.. - Pay Pal's Awesome. Anyway he called my home phone around 2am the following day - %$#^&!! - gave me every excuse in the book , He 2nd day aired them to me the next day if I agrred to lift complaint.

Yes, that was crappy way to do buisness. Well, I've purchased three more kit's since(It's still the best deal that I've seen ) and talked once on the phone , not to long go - He's alright, has gotten back to me within 12 hrs - usually the same day. -that's about normal. - PayPal can freeze a sellers acount if you pay in full in a "buy it now" catagory . I shared my concern with Pay Pal and they got right on it. just let me know if have problems - Don't get me wrong , he's a good guy and most likey everything will go fine . I learned of a person haveing the same prob with him a week and and a half ago. Still waiting to here how that turned out , haven't herd anything yet -I 'm taking it , no news is good news on that one lol

Good luck with the truck
Just got the COPS only... Will let you know... Thanks

Old 10-08-2006, 08:37 PM
It's specified in there add what motors & vehicles there for , yours is in there .
The first time you do it, if you take your time and do it right about 3-4hrs .

Make sure not to forget to use dielectric grease or most likely, you'll being doing it again soon..

Good Luck

Whats up with the dielectric grease. No one has heard of using that.... Can you please let me know..

Thanks,
Todd

Old 10-08-2006, 09:25 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Whats up with the dielectric grease. No one has heard of using that.... Can you please let me know..

Thanks,
Todd
"no one"??? You're kidding, right?

Buy the extra dielectric grease (get a BIG tube) and use plenty of it in each coil boot.

Steve

Old 10-09-2006, 12:28 AM

Thanks,
Todd

Common Todd, over 300 posts, U serious - and who on this site hasn't heard of that? Dielectric Grease - The Modular Security Blanket and it 's a sin not to use.

Okay, if your really in the dark , I'll share the proceess

Please verify -

Old 10-09-2006, 09:17 AM
Common Todd, over 300 posts, U serious - and who on this site hasn't heard of that? Dielectric Grease - The Modular Security Blanket and it 's a sin not to use.

Okay, if your really in the dark , I'll share the proceess

Please verify -
I have only done one coil pack and that was on my dad's expedition. The tech at ford just told me switch it and nothing about the Dielectric Grease... So I was told the wrong information.... Yeah can you fill me in with the process. Thanks man...

Quick Reply: 5.4 Coil Packs Again