Fuel pump circuit high?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pump circuit high?

I got my Edge Tuner for my 1997 4.6 and I had it read my DTCs and it was throwing a code that was something like P1000 and it says that it is the fuel pump circuit is high or something like that. Does this sound familiar to anyone? And if so, what does it mean? I was thinking that it could possibly have something to do with the High RPM pinging, misfiring and/or hesitation that I am experiencing.

Old 08-14-2006, 11:02 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
P1000 code has nohting to do with the fuel pump. It's simply an indication that the OBD-II readiness test have not run since the PCM/codes were reset.

It's a red flag for emissions tests so you can't just reset codes or the CEL and then show up for an emissions test.

Steve

Old 08-15-2006, 01:32 AM
Ok, well I think I indicated that I wasn't sure what the code was. I do know that the code said that the fuel pump circuit was high. And then one of my friends was playing with the edge unit and deleted the DTC so now I have to wait for it to trip again so I can get an exact code unless someone knows what I'm talking about.

Old 08-15-2006, 03:18 AM
Ok, I found the code. It is P0232. Any ideas? All the sites I've found for DTC's tell me just that much, that the Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit is high. I don't know what that means.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:32 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Here's what the factory PCED says re P0232:

KA30 CONTINUOUS MEMORY DTC P0232: CHECK FUEL PUMP SECONDARY CIRCUITS

NOTE:
If Continuous Memory (DTC) P0230 is also present, GO to «KA40».

A Continuous Memory Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0232 indicates that one of the following intermittent conditions has occurred:

-- Fuel pump circuit activated when PCM expected circuit to be off (i.e., fuel system test or prime procedure).

-- Inertia Fuel Shutoff switch was tripped, then reset.

-- Open circuit in or between the fuel pump and FPM circuit at the PCM (refer to Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual schematics).

-- Poor fuel pump ground.

-- FPM or Power-To-Pump circuit short to power.

-- Fuel pump relay contacts stuck closed.

-- Engine stalls due to excessive load.

NOTE:
For trucks with dual fuel tanks, perform Key On, Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test twice, once with the front tank selected and once with the rear tank selected. If no KOEO DTCs are present both times, continue with this test (intermittent concern). If KOEO DTC P0232 is present in only one test, refer to the Powertrain Group, Fuel System Section of the Service Manual to check for open circuit between Fuel Tank selector switch and suspect pump circuit ground.

l Key on, engine off.

l Access FPM PID on Scan Tool.

l Observe the FPM PID for an indication of a fault while performing the following (the FPM PID will turn ON when an open or short to power is detected):

-- Shake, wiggle, bend the Power-To-Pump circuit between the Power-To-Pump pin at the fuel pump relay and the fuel pump.

-- Shake, wiggle, bend the fuel pump ground circuit from the fuel pump to ground.

-- Lightly tap the fuel pump to simulate road shock.

-- Shake, wiggle, bend the FPM circuit between the PCM and the splice to the Power-To-Pump circuit.

-- Lightly tap Inertia Fuel Shutoff switch to simulate road shock.

-- Lightly tap the fuel pump relay to simulate road shock.

l Is a fault indicated/found?

Yes
Key off. ISOLATE fault and SERVICE as necessary. COMPLETE PCM reset to clear DTCs. RERUN «Quick Test».

No
Key off. Unable to duplicate or identify fault at this time. GO to Pinpoint Test Step «Z1» with the following data: FPM PID and list of Possible causes.
This should give you an overview of what's going on and get you started.

Steve

Quick Reply: Fuel pump circuit high?