Fan belt?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 12:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fan belt?

I'm getting a squeak in the engine from the belt, does anyone know how to tighten this? I have 83,000 miles on a 98 f150 v6, I do not know if it had the 60,000 mile check up done as I bought it used. Suggestions and the price I will be looking to pay?

Also can anyone give me some help on replacing the spark plugs/wires? Thanks.

Old 06-29-2006, 03:29 AM
just go to a jiffy lube or a shop because this belt thing is really inexpencive.

Old 06-29-2006, 07:47 AM
The tensioner automatically tightens the belt.
If you replace the belt, do it yourself, it is not that hard at all.

Old 06-29-2006, 09:26 PM
So I replaced the fan belt and the squeak is still there. Any ideas? I assume it is a pulley but which one I do not know.. It's not the air compressor though because the squeak doesn't go away with the ac off or on.

Old 06-29-2006, 10:39 PM
I had a squeak once. I took the belt off and spun the pulleys I could. My problem was in the pulley on the belt tensioner, it would squeak when you spun it by hand.

Sprayed a little oil on it, put a new belt on while I was there anyway (might as well), that was over 50K miles ago.

I do use belt dressing every so often, never had any other problem with this.

Old 06-29-2006, 10:57 PM
Will take the belt off again <grumbles> and see if I can pinpoint it being a pulley. The good people at autozone said I needed to replace the belt tensioner assembly, this mind you was after I was told to replace the belt which I said I already did. =D Go figure. If I can find the pulley that is squeaking I will try oiling it, also was told to check the alignment of the pulleys which I will do. Would be awesome if throwing some oil on one fixes the problem.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:23 PM
Ok now I think I might be in a bit of a bind. I took the belt off and spun the pulleys that I could none squeaked or were misaligned. So I started the engine with the belt off and the only one that turned was coming out of the engine. Low and behold the noise was there, it even looked as though it was wobbling. Now to you engine guru's out there. Is this a simple pulley replacement? <crosses fingers> To be more specific it is the crankshaft pulley... Ok I tightened the bolts on the crankshaft pulley still nothing.. It still squeaks although it has gone down after tightening them "to an extent that almost broke the wrench" with the belt off.. Didn't look at vibration or the pulley since it is almost 1 am now.. Any help would be appreciated..

Last edited by Ofwarz; 06-30-2006 at 12:45 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 06-30-2006, 10:40 AM
Are you talking about the one with the fan?

Sounds like it could be the bearings in your water pump. Time to replace?

Old 06-30-2006, 12:30 PM
If it's the waterpump Autozone has the cheapest. $85.99 Advance wanted $95.99 and Carquest wanted $106. They have the remanufatured there too, but I wouldn.t consider it. I think it was $55

Old 06-30-2006, 03:22 PM
It's the crankshaft pulley, the one that provides all the juice to the others. I don't know if it needs to be replaced or what.. The fan is fine and so is the water pump. ???

Old 07-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Ofwarz
It's the crankshaft pulley, the one that provides all the juice to the others. I don't know if it needs to be replaced or what.. The fan is fine and so is the water pump. ???
The pulley on the crankshaft is called a dampener. It is actually a two piece unit with a flexable portion seperating the part bolted to the engine and the part driving the belt.

The most difficult part of replacing the dampner would be getting thoughs bolt you tightened down back off. You most likely will need a 3 jaw puller too. Make sure you properly torque the bolts when you reinstall the dampner.

If you don't have a torque wrench, you can rent them from most rent-a-centers.

Good luck,
Doug

Old 07-01-2006, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the info Doug, could you or someone be more specific? I know what the Crank Pulley looks like, but not a dampener? what do you think could be squeaking? This is extremely aggervating. Do you think replacing the pulley would fix the squeaking? Does anyone think this is a problem that could lead to more problems if not fixed, or is it just an annoying squeak? Apparently this also has a "harmonic balancer"?? I have never messed with pulleys obviously so I'm like a fish out of water trying to figure it out.

Also Doug, thanks for being a trooper. Being deployed is not that much fun, but just know, I'm sure as most folks would say on this board, Thank You! No matter the naysayers, the troops don't make the decisions they just carry them out! Wish more people would understand that. Thanks again.

Old 07-02-2006, 08:39 PM
Anyone help me find a crank pulley?? lol I have searched the past 3 hours for one online and can't get anywhere. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Fan belt?