I broke my radiator drain plug....

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I broke my radiator drain plug....

Over the winter, I tried to loosen the drain plug on my radiato,r and be it that it was cold out, the plastic head broke right off. Well, I have 106,000 miles on my 1997 5.4L and it's time to drain the fluid and replace with new coolant. Can some one give me an idea on how to remove the remaining portion of what's screwed into the radiator. Thanks

Old 05-31-2006, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by jvangel
Over the winter, I tried to loosen the drain plug on my radiato,r and be it that it was cold out, the plastic head broke right off. Well, I have 106,000 miles on my 1997 5.4L and it's time to drain the fluid and replace with new coolant. Can some one give me an idea on how to remove the remaining portion of what's screwed into the radiator. Thanks
Drill it and use a bolt extractor?

Old 05-31-2006, 11:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How about heating the biggest slotted screw driver that will fit with a propane torch, and pushing it in to make it's own new slot? Let it cool and give it a try. A plan B could be the biggest philips that would fit. g luck

Old 05-31-2006, 11:25 PM
try heating a screw driver up and pushing it into the broken piece. when it cools see if it will unscrew.

Old 05-31-2006, 11:46 PM
I will try the heated screw driver trick tomorrow.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:12 AM
On the head, you can use a hex driver as well as a socket or wrench. Im not sure if the threaded portion of the part is hex as well, but its worth a try.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Talk about being lucky,.... , I went out to the truck 3 minutes ago to start the process of removing the broke drain plug, and I grabbed a screw driver (flat) to see if it wasnt too long and started to turn it and walla........it started to back out with no problems. Now I'll run to the auto parts store and by some premixed antifreeze and I'll go to work. What do you all think,......3 gallons should be good enough?

Old 06-01-2006, 05:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation

Why not go a bit further and unhook the lower radiator hose and block drains to get rid of more used coolant?

Old 06-01-2006, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by jvangel
Talk about being lucky,.... , I went out to the truck 3 minutes ago to start the process of removing the broke drain plug, and I grabbed a screw driver (flat) to see if it wasnt too long and started to turn it and walla........it started to back out with no problems. Now I'll run to the auto parts store and by some premixed antifreeze and I'll go to work. What do you all think,......3 gallons should be good enough?

u only need about 2 gallons

Old 06-01-2006, 05:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine takes 3 gallons of 100% AF which means I have 3 gallons of water left in the system.....

My system holds 25 qts according to the manual which comes out to just over 6 gallons total.

I do flush all the old stuff out using a flush process that's kinda involved, but I chose not to mess with the hoses, block drains or the T'stat that others use. That's just me... That's why I end up with the 3 gallons of water in the engine.

If you are just draing the rad and filling it backup, then 3 gallons of premix will do the job.

Depending on how long the old coolant has been in there, that may or may not make much difference.... I like getting all the old stuff out myself....

Mitch

Old 06-02-2006, 08:02 AM
Radiator leaking ????

Hey all...
I have an issue with my newly bought 97 5.4 with 189k the radiator keeps needing to be topped off about every week, week and half. Probably about a quart or so of mix. but theres no smell no leaks... nothing to go on.. is this normal or what ???? driving me crazy .. Oh and not in the oil either!!(thats a good thing).....Thanks guys..

Old 06-02-2006, 09:03 AM
Jflex1 check the hose above the last spark plug on the passenger side for any leaks. This hose (heater hose) tends to leak sometimes and drips down on the COP which can also cause some issues.

Old 06-02-2006, 12:02 PM
draining

I tend to agree that removing the bottom hose is usually the best way of clearing the system out, i was surprised to see that there still is such a thing as a drain tap/plug on radiators and blocks, I thought they went long ago...on most cars they have, anyway.

I am a great fan of screw extractors/e-z-outs, everyone should buy a set before they need them....glad yours came right out though

Quick Reply: I broke my radiator drain plug....