changing idle speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
changing idle speed

if u have underdrive pullies and u want ur rpm up a little more so ur power sterring while parking is still pressurized instead of getting a tune heres what i found ....[url]http://www.svtlightnings.com click on the how to... and then tps voltage

Old 05-17-2006, 06:50 PM
adt
I just did that and I didn't see TPS voltage. Are you sure you didn't miss a step?

Old 05-17-2006, 07:53 PM
i just found it never tried it.. u might have had the wrong wires or something to test a tps there has to be voltage going to it.. and with the vehical running it will have power

Old 05-18-2006, 06:09 PM
adt
I just finished setting the voltage on the TPS to .986. I found good instructions on the svtlightning.com site. It showed very clear pics on how to do it. But my engine still idles at 850-900 when hot in gear. Doesn't seem right to me. Any suggestions?

Old 05-18-2006, 06:23 PM
have u cleaned out your throttle body recently? or your idle air control valve, could be sticking slightly, also spray some electrical cleaner on ur mass air flow sensor, they can get dirty also and read less air then there actually is. i would try that for starters.

Old 05-18-2006, 06:50 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
How's about just don't play with the idle speed? 800-900 rpm at hot idle in park is fine.

Old 05-18-2006, 06:59 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
I agree. 8 to 900 is already higher than it it supposed to be.
The reason it is not something you play with is because the computer program is the controlling item overall. The computer will vary the IAC opening to control the idle so it matches the program value. Trying to change it by outside means can lead to other problems including a CEL lamp.

Trending Topics

Old 05-18-2006, 07:19 PM
adt
I'll try cleaning the TB and the IAC tomorrow but I'm , is 8-900 hot idle speed in gear o.k. or is it too high? And I'm not sure where the IAC is located, can you tell me? Thx.

Old 05-18-2006, 07:57 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
IAC is called the idle air controller. It is continiously adjusted by the computer in response to engine idle speed and loads changes such as A/C, lighting loads etc.
It varies the air allowed around the throttle plate as a means of controlling the idle speed. This is why the throttle stop should never be used or any other means to change the idle speed by force adjustments.
The location is across ports on the throttle body and has an electrical connector to do the control function.
It is subject to sludge accumulations making it sticky.
I would also clean the throttle body bore as any buildup here will change the air that normally bleeds past this point by the normal stop setting.
Lastly there is possibility of unaccounted for air intrusion causing a higher idle speed (vaccume leak).
As for your performance pullies, many have a charging system problem and possibly a cooling problem at times from turning alternator and water pump too slow below design rpm limits. Many get away with, it many don't.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: changing idle speed