Quick: I need help tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick: I need help tonight.

can anyone point me to how to reseat the fuel rails in a 5.4? I'm changing plugs and what I nightmare. I have all but the driver's back two done and can't seem to get the fuel rail back on the passanger side. it popped off the front 3 injectors, but the #4 injecter stayed attached to the rail. I've pushed and probed with no luck for too long and I want to go to bed before 4 a.m
my im handle on msn messenger is chromegsx. I'll be checking mail and this thread too.

Old 05-16-2006, 10:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Put a little KY jelly or dielectric grease on the O-rings and try again.

Old 05-16-2006, 10:31 PM
Thanks. went out to do that and i saw that there was not o-ring on 1 and 3 so I pried em out and stuck em on. and would you know it it fit right down on. chalk one up to lack of experience. ky works great for a nice smooth seat by hand without too much effort. that is once the o-rings are on the injector rather than in the rail. thanks so much for the quick reply... I just might attempt the last two as well tonight.

Old 05-16-2006, 11:08 PM
better practic to take the rail off on any vehicle with the injectors in the rail

Old 05-17-2006, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the reply. I just got done with the change and the truck started so I guess I did alright. Turned out that the o-rings for the top of the injectors were still in the rail. Once I pryed them out and put them on the injectors the rail slid nicely down over the injectors. The suggestion of using KY or dielectric grease to help the slide over the orings seemed to help. 5 1/2 hours for a spark plug change is a little ridiculous. Would I do it again? Only if I have too, which I probably will, next time I bet I cut my time by more than half. Now on to a much easier job of changing plugs in the 3.8. but that's another day. Off to bed earlier than I thought tonight. Thanks again for the help.

Quick Reply: Quick: I need help tonight.