06 5.4L To Replace a 98 5.4L Motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
06 5.4L To Replace a 98 5.4L Motor

I've come across an 06 motor with 3000 miles on it for $1800 and it doesn't come with the computer, how much added expense or troubles am I looking at if I were to atempt this? I'm not worried about the mechanical aspect. Would the computer (PCM) have to be replaced with one of the same year ? Is it worth 50 or 60hp? The truck itself is solid. That's why I'm debating this. The more I think about the differences in the eletrical systems, I something that I'm not going to be able to just plug in. I may need a newer wire harness for compatibility ? How much difference is there in the configuration?

Thanx

Old 05-07-2006, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to much work not much gain...

Old 05-07-2006, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Faster150
to much work not much gain...

Yeah, It use to be easy back in the good old days, when they all had carboraters lol...

Old 05-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Yeah, It use to be easy back in the good old days, when they all had carboraters lol...

yeh the new 04+ have tons more computer controlled crap on the engines.. for regulations and what not. hes better off just getting a navi motor in it or a pre 04 5.4L and swap it in

Old 05-07-2006, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Faster150
yeh the new 04+ have tons more computer controlled crap on the engines.. for regulations and what not. hes better off just getting a navi motor in it or a pre 04 5.4L and swap it in

I'm glad you brought that up, I've heard this before about the navigator motor being different. What gives ? What so special bout the navi 5/4 ? It must be power, that's a given, but what exactlly is the dif?? Heads ? Cam ? I 'm pretty sure I can find a low milage navi motor , would the best case senrio be to get the comp with it? Or is my 98 F150 comp compatible ? Would like to have a good base motor on the stand to build up little by little for the truck someday , kind of a hobby I've been interested in and always wanted to do.

Thanx

Old 05-07-2006, 04:15 PM
The Nav motors are a quad cam design. Similar to the motors used in the mustang Cobras. Im sure the the trannies should bolt up, but as for the computer you will pobably need to get the one out of the donor Nav. They said the same thing about the 3.0/3.2 SHO motors you couldnt swap them, but you can. Id look into it more, I can't see why it wouldnt work, if you have the donor Nav right there.

Old 05-07-2006, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by 92F150S/C
The Nav motors are a quad cam design. Similar to the motors used in the mustang Cobras. Im sure the the trannies should bolt up, but as for the computer you will pobably need to get the one out of the donor Nav. They said the same thing about the 3.0/3.2 SHO motors you couldnt swap them, but you can. Id look into it more, I can't see why it wouldnt work, if you have the donor Nav right there.

I think your right there, The blocks are the same , I mean everything should bolt up and if the trannies do without a prob and access to the doner isn't an issue tehn what else would you need? It might harder to find one that's been compromized by rear or side impact, intact. Finding a motor isn't that bad, but the vehicle as a whole might be. Salvage yards part them out pretty quick. I guess what I need to investigate is whats the least I would need from the doner to make it happen. The last motor swap I did was a 98 3.8 or six, can't remember exactly, but I didn't need the computer out of the doner to make it happen and it went well. The Navi motor sounds nice with a lot of potential, so any imput would be apriciated and thanx for yours.

Quick Reply: 06 5.4L To Replace a 98 5.4L Motor