spout plug??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spout plug??

After actually reading the sticker under the hood , it says to unplug the spout plug. The sad part is another guy had said the same thing.I thought it may be a typo, and I was not smart enough to ask for clarification. guess what truck runs like crap, 3/4 tank of gas for 80 miles.

Where in the heck do I find the SPOUT PLUG !!!
Thank you

Old 03-08-2006, 03:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you working on your timing? Sometimes it may still be in the wiring harness if your vehicle has never been timed before?

And here is a thread with a picture of the spout plug on a 1995 I think...

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ght=spout+plug

Last edited by temp1; 03-08-2006 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:02 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
The SPOUT plug routes the SPark OUTput signal from the PCM to the Ignition Control Module for the distributor. The PCM uses the SPOUT signal to dynamically adjust timing to reflect engine operation. Pulling the SPOUT plug removes computer control of the timing allowing you to set base timing.

Think of it like the vacuum advance on older engines without computers. If you ever set timing on one of them, you'll recall that you had to disconnect the vacuum line from the distributor in order to set base timing. Same thing for the SPOUT plug. If you don't pull it when setting the base timing, you'll be off by at least 10 degrees, probably late/retarded.

After typing all that, I looked at the thread that temp1 pointed to. It is very complete...

Steve

Quick Reply: spout plug??