Can I drive with the alternator unhooked?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 02:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
IMO, unhooking the Alt would be no different then if the Alt were do die while you are driving it. When my Alt died on me a couple years ago, it just stopped charging the battery...... The idiot light came on the dash (could not tell that it was not charging by the stupid gauge, as it did not move at all....)

Anyway, all that will happen is that you will run as long as your battery can supply enough volts to run whatever it needs to run... Normally, it will show around 14v on a meter when the Alt is working. When it died, it was right at 12.5 volts.

I only drove about two miles to the auto parts store to get a new Alt, then I had to do a parking lot install because it was dark and raining as I was 20 miles from home. No way was I going to limp home with no lights or wipers and then risk it dying on the side of the road.

As it was, I found a covered car wash stall and began my swap. When I got the the stall, the battery was at 11.5v. It'll probably power the comp and ignition until around 10v, but probably not much below that..... That's just a guess, I don't know that for sure....

I find it's kinda easy to tell if the Alt it causing the interference if it's sound coming out of sterero speakers for example, because when you rev up the engine, the interference sound goes up and down with the reving of the motor....

Good luck!

Mitch

Quick Reply: Can I drive with the alternator unhooked?