poping the coil ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 11:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
poping the coil ?

Hey all , once again my truck won't take any load under 2000 rpm . It just shakes ,studders, and wants to die. The last 3 times this hapened the dealership said "all you did was pop a coil , no biggy " When I get it back it runs great . I have paid $210 every time this happens. Does this happen to others on this site ? Are they scaming me ? Can I fix this with over the counter parts ? thanks

Old 12-18-2005, 11:54 AM
I am assuming you have a V8 here...

Look at your receipts...Is it the same coil/cylinder each time? If so, is there some way that some contaminant is leaking onto that coil? Or, can you have a bad plug creating additonal resistance in the circuit. For sure, if you have had to fix t 3 times, you are treating the symptom rather than resolving the problem. Minimally, I would pull and inspect the affected plug and trouble-shoot that cylinder for resistance or shorting scenarios

If you have a 6 cyl, you would have a single coil ... , but you are still treating the symptom... I would follow the same logic, but would also look for a bad plug wire ...

Old 12-18-2005, 12:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As sdtsdt said, check your receipts to determine if it is the same coil each time. You can buy the coils yourself at places like Checker, AutoZone, etc. for around $50. But, finding the root of the problem may still be needed.
If it is # 4 cylinder I would suspect water dripping on the coil from the lines to your heater core.

Old 12-18-2005, 01:30 PM
Since they are saying its "popping a coil" I take that to mean the COP is coming loose for some reason.

But yes, if you can tell us what the work order says on it, that would be helpful.

Old 12-19-2005, 06:47 PM
thanks, to all that helped, I took Ellenberger's advice and went to auto zone. They had a scan reader (after I signed the dumb *** protection disclaimer) It was # 7 . $ 50 and a cut palm later it runs great. I will research it better soon, but its 17 degrees out side right in ohio and I don't have a heated garage

Quick Reply: poping the coil ?