Starter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter?

My friend has a '97 with the 4.2L V6. Recently he's having problems with it starting. He had the battery replaced yesterday morning, and then last night we went out to eat and it wouldnt start. It wouldnt crank or anything, just hear a loud CLICK. So we had someone come pick us up and dropped us off at home and we got my truck and went to wal mart, bought a tow rope, and then went back to his truck and were going to tow it home. Of course we tried starting it just to see if it would start, and it started up.

Im not really sure on what conditions cause the problem, but it sounds like it wont start back up when the engine is warm and you have to wait for it to cool down.

Is it the starter, or something else?

Old 11-12-2005, 12:49 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation

Its possible there is a loose connection at the starter.Ive had this happen to me twice on mine.There is the other possibility it could be a hydro-lock problem.Hydro-lock is when the lower intake gaskets fail,usually on # 1 or # 4 cylinders,and the cylinder fills with coolant and the engine will not turn over due to the piston not being able to compress a liquid.If the starter connection is ok,pull the front two spark plugs (drivers side and passenger side) and see if there is coolant in there.These are number 1&4 cylinders,where the gasket usually fails.If there is coolant present,DO NOT try to start the engine!Get the gaskets replaced ASAP! If its a loose starter connection tighten it and thank GOD it was not hydro-lock!

Old 11-12-2005, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, as I said, the engine starts. So I doubt its hydro-lock.

Old 11-12-2005, 01:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Johngs
My friend has a '97 with the 4.2L V6. Recently he's having problems with it starting. It wouldnt crank or anything, just hear a loud CLICK.

Is it the starter, or something else?
These are are "also" the signs of the 4.2V6 about to hydro-lock from faulty lower intake gaskets.You asked if it was something else;I stated the other possibility.Go to the "V6 FORUM" and do a search on how many 4.2V6s have failed from hydro-lock,with the same symptoms you are describing! You will be surprised! And,I also stated my 4.2 did the same thing as you described; it was a loose connection at the starter. :santa:

Quick Reply: Starter?