Ahhhh--the Head Gasket Once Again, Maybe

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahhhh--the Head Gasket Once Again, Maybe

Hey all,

I've got a '99 Scab Lariat 5.4L with just over 114,000 miles on it. At about 73,000 miles, both head gaskets were replaced due to the infamous problem F150's have in this year. I was putting some more oil into it today, and noticed the bottom of the oil filler cap had oil on it that looked milky. It also had a frothy texture to it as well. The oil on the dipstick looks fine--no milky color or weird texture. I guess my question is, did the head gasket blow again? Could it be the intake manifold gasket? It has been running fine, I have noticed the oil pressure gauge dip a few times, and then return to normal (that could be the sending unit though), and it is not overheating at all. Sorry for the long post, but any immediate help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-29-2005, 04:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
HI!... The milky substance found under the oil filler cap is just condensation. Once the weather startes to get colder it is more noticable. Don't worry about it. As for the oil pressure guage. Don't pay any attention to it. It's a dummy light. Once it tells you, that you have no oil pressure, it's already too late. If you want to moniter oil pressure, get a real mechanical oil pressure gauge, say from AUTO METER.

Old 10-29-2005, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since the weather is now turning colder we all need to be prepared for "milky oil cap" questions. at least 4 times a week until the spring.

Quick Reply: Ahhhh--the Head Gasket Once Again, Maybe