coolant flush confusion

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question coolant flush confusion

I have done multiple searches on coolant flushing and am seriously confused. People do it several different ways. Then I read about air bubbles and vapor locking and ruining the engine. Needless to say now I'm a bit scared to do it myself. The coolant is approaching 40k miles and is 3.5 years old.

What exactly should I do? Just drain it or try to flush it?

This way seems to be a fairly straightforward way to do it.

Any problems doing it this way?
Thanks

Old 10-06-2005, 07:03 AM
The method outlined sounds very complete. I've never experienced any problems doing it that way.

Originally Posted by KDOTengineer
Then I read about air bubbles and vapor locking and ruining the engine.
I wonder if this was caused by not running the engine for a short time after refilling the radiator then topping up the reservoir?

Old 10-06-2005, 01:50 PM
One thing not mentioned is antifreeze type. Don't mix the green stuff with the gold stuff. If you want to change from one to the other. You must do a very good flush. So, no traces of the old antifreeze remain.

Old 10-06-2005, 01:50 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The link you provided is a very good way to do it for sure. I do it in a very similar fashion, but I don't mess with the block drain plugs.

Whichever method you use to get the old stuff out is usually fine. It's when you get your final mix of coolant and before you 'seal' up the system that makes the difference.....

What I have done over the past 25 some odd years of doing coolant flushes on my own vehicles is when I've got my final mix of coolant in the system, I just run the engine with the rad cap removed and let it reach full temp so the T'stat opens and allows full flow of coolant. Allow this to run for a couple of minutes this way. I also bring the revs up on the engine to around 1500 or so as well... That really gets things flowing!

On some systems, you might find that the rad will overflow with the cap removed once it's up to temp... That's normal, and all you can do then is have the rad cap handy and if you can raise the rpms up, that will keep it in check as well. Don't worry too much if you do happen to lose some.... Just be careful to not burn yourself with it however!!

On our F150's however, there is no 'rad cap' on the rad directly..... It's on the resovoir tank on the side. Well, the same basic theory applies here too. Just run it with the cap off and you should see some movement of coolant in the tank. You will probably also see bubbles as well. That's what you want to see initially. That's getting the air pockets out of the block. I usually let it run this way for about 10-15 minutes while I down another BEER!!

I'll even take it out around the block a couple of time with the cap off. Just to get the stuff circulated thru the system.

Put the cap back on and run it around again. You should now be building up pressure in the system. If all went well, you should be fine. When you park the truck, you might want to open the cap again (very slowly!!) and let it sit open while it all cools down. This is just another way to allow the system to work out any air pockets in the system.

I know this sounds like a long and complicated process, but it's really pretty simple once you've done it a few times!

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 10-06-2005, 02:14 PM
What about flush?

I've done a similar method without removal of the block plug. Works well. I wonder about using a flush. Is it necessary if the system has been well maintained? Is it harmful?

Seems controversial...

Lost cooling system efficiency due to rust deposits can lead to overheating, breakdown and costly repair. Premium formulated Prestone® Super Flush quickly helps restore cooling system efficiency by removing harmful rust deposits and oily residues. Not-toxic, non-acid Super Flush is safe for all cooling system metals and is easy to use.

Old 10-06-2005, 03:16 PM
I've used the above product and I was surprised at how dirty the water was when I flushed it out. Before adding the flush stuff, I had flushed straight water until it ran clear. It was hot coming out of the rad, so I know it was circulating.....

I ran the flush stuff per the instructions and when I went to flush that stuff out, is when it came out all dirty......

So far so good on my system.... I do have to chagne the coolant again (I do it every 18 months or so). This time around I'm changing both upper and lower rad hoses and the T'stat while I'm at it....

Mitch

Old 10-06-2005, 03:28 PM
CTX
Does anyone know if the '99 F150's with the 4.6 come with the "gold" colored antifreeze from the factory?
I need to flush mine and that's what the color of the stuff in the resivour is, kind of looks like a dirty yellow color to me. Is that the Ford long life coolant? Is the Prestone long life "yellow" the same?
Or should I just go back in with the green, and get as much of the other stuff out as possible?
I am confused.....

Thanx!

Trending Topics

Old 10-06-2005, 04:01 PM
On one of the underhood stickers that list emission stuff, fan belt routes, spark plug gap, etc, there should also be a coolant spec listed. A while ago, I got that spec and looked on Prestones web site and found that their standard 'green' stuff met the spec. That's what I've been using, but that does not mean that's what you can use...

Check the spec and that will tell you what you need...

Mitch

Old 10-06-2005, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the help. I've got two more questions.

Has anyone ever found the block drain plug on the passenger side of the enginer???

So a good way would be to drain, fill with some kind of flush/cleaner stuff, drain again, then fill will plain water, drain again, then filll with antifreeze & water mix. Does this sound good?

Thanks

Old 10-06-2005, 07:42 PM
The best way

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remove the inlet heater hose end, that is next to the first fuel injector on top of the right head. Get a (6 ft.+-)section of scrap heater hose (garden hose, or from a parts store ) connect it to where you just removed that black hose (heater hose inlet connector) aim it in a safe direction----start the engine and antifreeze will pour out of this newly installed hose. Keep the radiator full with clean water until you are sure all antifreeze has been evacuated. Time can be saved by draining the radiator first and leaving the radiator drain open while keeping radiator full and evacuating. After nothing but clean water pours out of this hose, drain radiator and add antifreez. SAFETY NOTE__ antifreeze will come out of the newly installed hose with some force, make sure engine is cold

Old 10-06-2005, 09:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
remember one other thing GUYS

antifreeze will NOT go away unless it is washed away

it is TOXIC to pets and is sweet smelling to them

collect the old stuff and put it in jugs
you can get rid of it at any recycle joint

be smart...it could be YOUR dog or cat

...zap!

Old 10-06-2005, 09:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zapster
remember one other thing GUYS

antifreeze will NOT go away unless it is washed away

it is TOXIC to pets and is sweet smelling to them

collect the old stuff and put it in jugs
you can get rid of it at any recycle joint

be smart...it could be YOUR dog or cat

...zap!
In my experience it doesn't work like that. My neighbor's yap-o-matic ankle biter turned up his nose at hot dogs marinated in antifreeze on several occassions.

Old 10-06-2005, 09:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RockyJSquirrel
In my experience it doesn't work like that. My neighbor's yap-o-matic ankle biter turned up his nose at hot dogs marinated in antifreeze on several occassions.

was not hungry enough i suppose

it has happened

dads dog

i really did'nt care for it much anyway

anyway...

...zap!

Old 10-06-2005, 09:38 PM
Thumbs up

My dad always said the best way to get rid of strays was to soak break in antifreeze.....

Anyways after much searching I think I'll do it Max Mitchell's way.

Originally Posted by max mitchell
The mix is totally overpriced, since it's already thinned down. Since some water is always left in the system, you need to calculate the mix. Here's the easy way without draining the block...Buy 10 gallons of distilled water and 3 gallons of anti-freeze. Warm the engine up and then drain the radiator. Fill it back up with 3 gallons of distilled water. Run it a few minutes after the thermostat opens. Repeat this until you've drained out 9 gallons of distilled water. Fill the radiator the last time with 3 gallons of straight antifreeze. This will mix with the clean, distilled water left in the system/ block. Top it off with the 10th gallon of distilled water and give the rest to your wife for ironing.
Toss in some of that flush cleaner stuff the first time and then drain it 3 times and call it good. That way you don't have to screw with the block drain plug.

Old 10-07-2005, 06:21 AM
Originally Posted by Newt
One thing not mentioned is antifreeze type. Don't mix the green stuff with the gold stuff.
Why would that be the case? I've always thought the different colors were just product differentiation by the respective marketing departments. TIA

Quick Reply: coolant flush confusion