block heater question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question block heater question

hey boys, i was just online checking the grain prices and for some reason my mind has turned to block heaters, lol. must be the cold snap here lately.

Anyways my question is does anyone know how fast these things heat the coolant in the block??? One time last winter i had to be somewhere unexpectedly and had the truck plugged in for only an hour at 25 below. When i unplugged it it was only half as loud as when i plugged it in- so i assume it heated it up quite a bit. I usually try to have it plugged in at least 2 hours in that kind of weather if not 3. Does anyone know how many degrees per hour it will heat up??? just curious- by the way it started right up- so i aint concerned about that- just engine wear.

Dan.

Old 08-22-2005, 02:55 PM
my buddy suggests get a diesel and let it run......

there is a conversion for calories to watts, so once you know your total engine volume, metal, coolant, oil, etc., divide it by the watts of the block heater and you will know how mant degrees per hour it will raise.

Unfortunately this is the only way to know as volumes greatly swing from vehicle to vehicle..

Good luck.....

Old 08-22-2005, 04:05 PM
im gladd i live in texas and dont have to deal with poor oxygen content acid rain freezing temperatures... high gas prices...democrats...and car rust

Old 08-22-2005, 09:55 PM
well does anyone know anything about the heating time on a 5.4 liter????

i dont have any idea on the watts of the block heater

Old 08-23-2005, 11:38 AM
block heater

My experience with block heaters is that three hours is the best. I have a timer that will start the heater three hours before I leave for work. On weekends sometimes the truck will only get one or two hours of heat prior to starting because of poor planning on my part. Living in Alaska can be a challenge when it comes to vehicles.

Quick Reply: block heater question