o2 sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
o2 sensor?

I was out and about in a junkyard and came across a older f150 either a 94 or 95 but it still had the 4.9l engine in it. I noticed that the engine had no o2 sensors. I own a 1996 f150 with the 4.9. Is there a way to eliminate the o2 sensors from my system and modify the engine computer to reconize that they are not part of the system like the older non emission type. O2 sensors are too dang expensive and I have replaced them twice and still keep comming up with o2 problems from too lean to faulty connection problems. at almost 80 dollars a piece any other alternative would be better.

Old 08-08-2005, 10:06 PM
exx
I believe you can just remove them man, maybe get a light or trouble code but no biggie. Thats all that sensor is for is determining whether the exhaust is satisfactory as pertaining to emmisions, nothing more. I could be wrong but Id just remove them see what happens.

Old 08-08-2005, 10:10 PM
Probably **** you mpg though... mine is out and there was a noticable difference before it was out, but i gotta an 8 dont know about a six...

Old 08-08-2005, 11:33 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
You guys are not at all informed about these things.
The 4.9L has only one sensor, it's an inline 6 engine.
All EFI engines had at least one Ox sensor all the way back to at least 1985.
You disconnect the Ox sensors, then there is no way for the computer to continiously correct the fuel injected for the correct air/fuel ratio.
Removeing the Ox sensors or a fault that makes them inoperable, results in the computer going to fuel tables that are very rich, as a normal reaction.
If you like to buy gas then that's your thing.
Fix your problems instead of trying to find ways around them.
A code that seems to indicate a lean condition is usually interpeted as just that, 'IN ERROR', when in fact the code is telling you the fuel tables are shifted to their lean side in the computer program and (not that the engine is running lean).
The engine in this example would actually be running rich and would be why the tables are shifted lean in an effort to try and correct a rich condition that it cannot, so a code is set telling about it.
Obviously if new Ox sensors don't correct a problem, it's not them.
You cannot analyze anything until you understand how it works, otherwise just throwing money in parts at is is like nailing jello to a tree 99% of the time and you still end up with nothing. The other 1% is luck if you hit the problem.
I'm not trying to be smart but just to get your attention about how to handle these things if your going to try to do your own work, you have to know a bit about it first. The codes don't tell you what the exact problem is most of the time but only the system involved. This is where you need to know more.
Good luck.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 08-08-2005 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
You guys are not at all informed about these things.
The 4.9L has only one sensor, it's an inline 6 engine.
All EFI engines had at least one Ox sensor all the way back to at least 1985.
You disconnect the Ox sensors, then there is no way for the computer to continiously correct the fuel injected for the correct air/fuel ratio.
Removeing the Ox sensors or a fault that makes them inoperable, results in the computer going to fuel tables that are very rich, as a normal reaction.
If you like to buy gas then that's your thing.
Fix your problems instead of trying to find ways around them.
A code that seems to indicate a lean condition is usually interpeted as just that, 'IN ERROR', when in fact the code is telling you the fuel tables are shifted to their lean side in the computer program and (not that the engine is running lean).
The engine in this example would actually be running rich and would be why the tables are shifted lean in an effort to try and correct a rich condition that it cannot, so a code is set telling about it.
Obviously if new Ox sensors don't correct a problem, it's not them.
You cannot analyze anything until you understand how it works, otherwise just throwing money in parts at is is like nailing jello to a tree 99% of the time and you still end up with nothing. The other 1% is luck if you hit the problem.
I'm not trying to be smart but just to get your attention about how to handle these things if your going to try to do your own work, you have to know a bit about it first. The codes don't tell you what the exact problem is most of the time but only the system involved. This is where you need to know more.
Good luck.

Ok grass, where did I attempt to put how it functions and I admitted to not knowing, thanks for your input captain obvious the thread was started because he was curious. If you decide to chime in with your helpful input leave out the arrogance. I'm not trying to sound smart (either) but just to get your atttention how one would abide with the usage of modern day etiquette.

On an unsarcastic note....
THAT WAS ACTUALLY VERY INFORMATIVE, Thank you

Old 08-09-2005, 12:06 AM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Sorry you feel that way.

Quick Reply: o2 sensor?