Can a truck run poorly and not show codes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can a truck run poorly and not show codes?

I thought anytime the truck is not running normal, the check engine light would go on. When i accelerate, the truck holds back power.Shouldn't the check engine light show?

Old 07-15-2005, 11:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Not necessarily. This is where monitoring datastream and PIDs comes into effect, so we can see what sensors are reading what and why.

Old 07-15-2005, 11:04 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
The light doesn't always come on if codes are present. Don't know why, but do know autozone and such will read them for free. Check it out.

Adrianspeeder

Old 07-15-2005, 11:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bob1
Being here in SoCal with you, I can tell you that the HEAT is probably causing part of your problem. (note to other responders: It has been over 100!)
Your engine will retard timing and do other things to prevent damaging itself from detonation, etc caused by high intake temps. Also, the fuel mixture is adjusted, and probably other stuff. The hot air also causes a less dense air fuel mix.
That is a pretty layman explanation (cause that is what I are!) but I know the feeling. I have a supercharger, and as someone posted recently, I sometimes want to get out and pop the hood to see if the belt is still connected!
Heat is not your friend.

Quick Reply: Can a truck run poorly and not show codes?