New engine - p0175 code

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New engine - p0175 code

1997 4.6L F150. The old engine was throwing too lean conditions on both banks. Turns out, cyl #4 and #8 had zero compression.

Labor for tearing the motor apart to find the problem was near the cost of a new (factory refurb) engine, so I had the entire engine assembly replaced.

Two weeks later, the CEL comes on and I'm getting P0175 -- Bank 2 too rich.

Any ideas? Could this be related to the original problem?

Old 07-11-2005, 03:45 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I saw in another post where someone had linked them to a ODB Code webpage. Lots of info and even a far amount of trouble shooting that the DIY person could try.

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/index.php

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 07-11-2005, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the link. I already checked all of that stuff when I had the problems with my previous engine. Of course, something may have gone wrong since then. (I'm not sure how a vacuum leak could cause a too rich condition)

I'm just wondering if the too lean condition I had before could be related to the too rich condition that I'm seeing now on the new engine. And is it "normal" for this to happen within a couple of weeks after getting the new engine?

Old 07-11-2005, 07:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If they used any of the related parts from the old engine, then that could be the problem.... I'm only guessing, but maybe the vacuum leak is causing some part that controls the A/F mixture to not function properly and it's sending too much fuel this time??

I'm sure what happened in your first engine with the too lean condition just burned the valves in those cylinders or even put a hole in the pistion(s).

Too rich would tend to bugger up your cats I'd think?? Probably foul up the plugs pretty good too??

Not related to your situation in anyway, but a vacuum leak on my wifes old Plymouth Acclaim was causing the Evap system to not function.... After you ran the car for a short time and shut it off, it would give off very noticable gas fumes.... Had me stumped for a while. Wife was getting "headaches", so I had to fix it!! Well, I noticed that one of the vacuum lines that attach to the air cleaner actuates the hot/cold air dam. When it had high vacuum it would close the door. Low vacuum would open the door.... Well, I noticed that it never opened, even in low vacuum situations... And since it stays OPEN when it's off or disconnected, I just plugged up that vacuum line and left it off the air cleaner. The door now stays open, so it's getting cold air all the time and the gas fumes are gone!!

So, even thou I was attempting to accomplish something totally different (keep the cold air door open) it ended up fixing the Evap gas fume problem I had... Now if I can just figure out why the air conditioner does not work, but that's another story....

Mitch

Quick Reply: New engine - p0175 code