Starter died last night

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical Problem (was Starter died last night)

Has anyone heard of this?

When I started my truck last night, my starter didn't shut off after the engine started. I even tried to shut off from the ignition but the starter kept the engine turning. So, since I knew if I got it to stop, I might not get it going again, I drove home - about 2 miles.

Before I could get home, the engine started to buck and jolt, so I clutched it and it smoothed out again. When I released the clutch to engage the engine again, the lights dimmed and the truck almost stalled, then the starter just stopped and the truck came back to life. I drove the rest of the way home and parked it.

For kicks (I knew what was _not_ going to happen), I tried to start it up again. No dice.

The starter and solenoid are both less than a year old. I bought the truck (used), and he said that he had starter problems. I replaced the starter the first day I bought it, and cleaned the contacts on the solenoid. The solenoid looked like it was just installed.

I suspect that it's either a bad case of solenoids, or another problem, electrical, which I fear the most.

Advice, consolation, pity?

Thanks

Last edited by Van Flicke; 07-07-2005 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Clearer description
Old 07-06-2005, 07:29 PM
Here's an update. I just tried to start my truck again. At first there was no response at all. The second time, the lights dimmed in the cab, and the third time, some grinding and then the truck started. I shut it off and tried it a couple more times, and each time it started, but it was laboring to start the engine.

Once it stops raining, I'm going to take the starter off and see what kind of damage to the teeth.

Is this an electrical problem? I think I should replace the solenoid, but has anyone ever heard of this before?

Thanks!

Old 07-06-2005, 07:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its the solenoid..
when it "sticks" thats what happens...
i usually get out when it happens and hit it with something to get it to stop..
but with the starter locked on "on"
you may have damaged that too
they do not like hi r.p.m.'s
...zap!

Old 07-06-2005, 08:54 PM
yeah, it's the solenoid, won't be very expensive to replace it, I just hope the starter did not got damage after been locked for a long time.

Old 07-07-2005, 03:02 PM
Ok, it's getting more curious-er. I replaced the solenoid, engine still bucks to start and continues to turn over when I turn off the key.

Either a. bad alternator or b. rough idling is causing it to continue to turn over without key in ignition.

Also, I noticed smoke from the ground terminal on the battery (black wire) and the cable from the terminal to the engine block is VERY HOT after only about 5 seconds of on. There's a whole lot of current going through there!

Any thoughts?

I noticed that it ran rough and I had a lot less power after I had the dealer replace the EGR valve (it was rusted in).

Thoughts?

Old 07-07-2005, 04:55 PM
Serious Electrical Problem?

Okay, I tried again, except that the engine kept sputtering and the wiring was definitely melting. I had to remove the nut that held the connection from the starter to the solenoid.

This sounds much worse than a solenoid problem...

Old 07-07-2005, 09:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
believe it or not it could very well be the starter..
take it out and have it tested..sucking juice like that is enough to melt wires anyday
and if it was damaged by the solenoid incident earlier the brushes could have "melted" to the armature resulting in the symptoms as you describe so far
hope this helps
...zap!

Last edited by zapster; 07-07-2005 at 10:06 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 03-13-2006, 10:14 AM
Problems are gone

It turns out it was the electrical connection, and possibly a combination of things as I replaced the battery, connectors, solenoid, alternator, starter, and I think that's it. I'm sure I'm overdue for a spark plug and wire overhaul, it's been about 15 months since I replaced them.

Quick Reply: Starter died last night