Code 23.........please advise

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 05:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Code 23.........please advise

You guys have been a tremendous help with my OT posts, thank you.
I have been having some problems with an 88 Ford E-150 4.9L:

When the temperature is 80 degrees or above, the van starts, stalls, starts, stalls, then will run and surge. After a minute or so its fine.

If the weather is cool, it starts and runs fine.

I had the air cleaner off, and blocked one of the air intake hoses to the throttle body, and started it, it started perfectly (90 degree day).

I checked codes and came up with code 23 TPS. I disconnected the battery and replaced the part. Is there an adjustment for the TPS, that doesn't require some high tech testing devise? I am still having the same problems. I only have basic tools, and would prefer to do it myself.

Would this be the start stall problem underlined above? Or is that something else.

The Throttle Air Bi-Pass valve is new too.

Thanks in advance,

Frank D

Old 06-30-2005, 05:45 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Get a can of throttle body cleaner and throughly spray clean inside while holding the throttle open. Do the same with the Idle Air Control.
You have problems on the old fella that are beginning to bug you now.
The TPS setting is not that critical. Only try to adjust it after doing cleaning if you think you need to. Normally there is very little adjustment and you need a digital voltmeter to set it so you can see tenths of a volt like .98 +/-.

Quick Reply: Code 23.........please advise