My $120 air filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 10:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My $120 air filter

Last month I checked and replaced all needed filters, etc. on my 02 f150 5.4 SC. I replaced the fuel filter, plugs, and check the air filter...it was in all but new condition.. no probs.

Sunday evening I noticed a malfunction. The engine was stumbling bad and trying to die! By the time I got home all was well, for the exception of an erratic idle. However, come morning all was good and I was waiting, hoping that a CE light would come on.. no such luck...so I took off for work.

The truck drove fine on the highway until I pulled off the highway and it all but died again. Being only 2 blocks for a Ford service center I pulled in. $95 diagnosis and one $7 air filter later I am running like new. Seems that the cone at the end of the air filter had came loose and was getting sucked down into the air passage, thus causing my troubles.

How on earth did they ever determine in the past, before these computers, that air filters were bad? It must have boggled the most experienced of minds.

The nice side is that I got my PCM updated for free. They said it was "under warranty" ..and fuel milage seems to be a bit better (but then again the PCM was just reset).

Remember, think "air filter" even if you have just check it and all was well. Seems that the extreme heat we were having Sat and Sun here in Okla. was just enough to soften the glue that holds on the nose cone. AS for the make of the filter, I have no idea. There was only one reference number on it.

Quick Reply: My $120 air filter