Remote Oil Filter No More!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Remote Oil Filter No More!

I was out doing some errands yesterday, everything seemed normal. I pulled into the garage, got out of the truck and noticed that something smelled hot. Like burning oil. I glanced down at my front tire and, to my horror saw OIL running out of the slots on my wheel!

Not quite a year ago I put a remote filter kit on. Was Perma-Kool brand from Summitt. I mounted it in about the same place Ford put them on the 97-99's. Did alot of research as to how people were running the oil lines, routed them carefully, all was good.

On the top of the return line, where there is absolutely nothing that could touch the hose, it split/burst!

Thank the Lord that I wasn't on the highway or going to work when it let loose. I'm guessing by the amount of oil that ended up on the garage floor that I lost about half my oil by the time I got home. What a mess!!!

Idiot light never came on, never lost pressure, just lost about three quarts of Amsoil.

As nice as it was to do a 10 minute oil change, the risk isn't worth the convienience.

It's back to taking off the driver's side tire for an oil change again

Old 05-01-2005, 08:21 PM
It only takes me 10 mins to do my oil change and my filter is on the block. When you change your filter you only need to install it snuggly by hand. when you remove it on the next change it will come off easy by hand also. I put some silicone lube on the gasket so it doesnt stick.

Old 05-01-2005, 08:22 PM
Sorry to hear your negative experience. I've thought about doing this simple mod, but hadn't yet done so. The oil filter's stupidly placed and somewhat difficult to get to, but I've never had to remove the tire to do so; I just turn the steering wheel hard left and that gets the Pitman arm out of the way. The real annoyance to me is having to clean up the little tray on the crossmember where the oil pours out. Is there any other reason you have to remove the tire?

Old 05-01-2005, 08:39 PM
Removing the tire makes it easier to access the filter for me. Actually, it's probably a good thing. I'll remember to grease the caliper slides when I do each change. I really liked this mod, to bad braided hoses and anodized fittings cost so much...

Quick Reply: Remote Oil Filter No More!