engine onry about starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 11:28 AM
atv
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine onry about starting

I have a 93 Ford Ext cab with dual gas tanks and 302 v8. The engine will start most of the time but occasionaly it will stumble on starting. If I keep trying it will eventually start but acts like its flooded. Pushing the acellerator to the floor doesn't help. I've had the fuel injection sys power flushed, new gas filter; throttle position sensor replaced but it still gives problems. It does't give any codes; my shop can't figure what the probelm is but I know eventually my new battery will go down or the starter will burn up or wear out. When I turn the ignition on I can hear the fuel pump running for a couple of seconds, but this truck is somewhat unreliable. It seems like if it sets for two or three days the problem is more frequent. If I start the engine every day it usually starts but then it reverts to the problem again. Any ideas?

Old 04-30-2005, 01:12 PM
Welcome to the boards!
I've read in different posts about problems with the switch for dual tanks. Try a search or I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in.
Good Luck.

Old 04-30-2005, 08:39 PM
Fuel Pump?

Old 05-01-2005, 03:44 PM
It's a shot in the dark, but sometimes on the inside of your distributor cap a residue will build up on the electrodes??, I'm not sure of the proper term for them, but they are the contact points that lead to your plugs as the rotor spins within the distributor. The voltage inside is quite high and somehow causes this. Anyways, pop off the cap and have a look and if there is any buildup, just take a screwdriver or penknife and try and scrape it off. I've done this a few times on my older vehicles displaying the same symptoms as yours and it's cleared it up.

Old 05-07-2005, 10:08 AM
atv
onry starting engine

thanks, Canuck PD. I checked the dist. cap and rotor ; they were in bad shape. Replaced them and the PU hasn't given any problem yet! That might have been the problem. I should have checked that out first thing. Thanks for the prompt. atv

Quick Reply: engine onry about starting