5.4 Smoking at startup intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 Smoking at startup intermittently

I have a 2001 Supercrew with a 5.4.

At times I can pull the truck out of the garage and let sit for say two hours, Well when I go to start it back up the thing emits a cloud and I say cloud of bluish smoke.

Now it only does this on occasion , nothing consistent .

I have had her to Ford before and they replace a MAF sensor.

I am thinking an injector possibly sticking as it always happens when I start it cold and run it fopr a couple of minutes and then shut her off and let her set for awhile.

Any ideas on what this could be?

The truck has 35,000 on it ans is still under extended warranty.

Thanks,
Tom

Old 04-30-2005, 09:44 AM
I will get the same thing on my 04, but only after it sits fo a few day of not running! It only has 28,000 miles on it. I asked the dealer and he said that the injectors may leak down but not to worry about it! this is a little fishy to me, does anyone have this problem or any info for me?

Old 04-30-2005, 12:30 PM
I am going to take mine back to the Dealer and leave it until They find something .

I had to leave it over a week before they found the MAF defective, claimed They couldn't get it to do it.

So the first time I told them to go outside with me , Lo and behold she did it the first time.

Someone has had to had this same problem.

Old 04-30-2005, 02:20 PM
I have a 2000 with the 4.6 and mine has been to so many different dealerships that none of them want to see me or my truck again.LOL. I bought my truck new and it started smoking at 4000 Km. I had to leave it all week with them and the service manager started my truck every morning, and you know what he told me? "This is normal, but we gave you an oil change and a pcv valve so what else can we do for you?" Good grief.

Old 04-30-2005, 05:49 PM
I always thought blue smoke was from oil and black was fuel. If it is oil, are you parking on a level surfice? If it is a good grade try parking it in the opposite direction. My thought is oil is pooling around a valve and when it first starts the oil is being sucked past the valve guide into the combustion chamber.

Might be enough room when it is cold but is a tight enough seal when it is warm.

Old 04-30-2005, 07:09 PM
Most of the time it is parked on a level surface, although this has occured with the front end lower than the rear. Not necessarily true on the color of the smoke, I know when the MAF was bad it was bluish white as well.

This always occurs after I have started it , let it run a minute or two & then let it set for awhile, like an hour or two.

Last edited by tomnky; 04-30-2005 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:59 PM
Excessive fuel= black smoke
Excessive oil= gray or bluish smoke

Trending Topics

Old 04-30-2005, 09:04 PM
Unplug Your MAF sensor and then start Your truck.

Then tell me Excessive fuel is black, Not so My friend.

It fooled me as well.

Old 05-01-2005, 01:17 AM
I had a 99 w/ the 4.6 that did the same exact thing. Only does it when started briefly from cold and restarted later. Never threw any codes, no check engine light, and never used a drop of oil between changes - I quit worrying about it. Doubt it's the MAF sensor, more likely, cold thick oil, pooling around the the valve guide seals. IMHO

Old 05-01-2005, 07:09 AM
Bob,
I know it isn't the MAF as it and the fuel pressure regulator have been replaced by Ford. But then it was smoking at first startup.

This one is as You say a " restart" when cold but only after it sits awhile, no oil use either at least no noticeable usage.

No codes or check engine light either.

Old 05-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Examine your entire PCV line for cracks or aging. Check the interior of the line for oil; run a q-tip inside it, if necessary. Also, check your PCV valve.

Old 05-01-2005, 11:28 AM
I have already changed the PCV valve but did not inspect the plastic line.I will try that and see what happens.

Thanks,
Tom

Quick Reply: 5.4 Smoking at startup intermittently