If I remove the throttle body...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I remove the throttle body...

Ok, I've gathered enough background information and ***** to attempt at porting my throttle body.

I have the intake manifold to throttle body gasket, but I'm wondering if there is another gasket I'd need, granted I completely remove/disassemble my T.B.

Also, I've heard that polishing is unnecessary and actually negatively affects the gains of doing the procedure. Read here.
granted it's for a motorcycle application, but I see no reason for it to be any different in this case.

Don't hesitate to include thoughts, ideas, and opinions about this, as I've yet to even go to buy the bits for my Dremel.

Oh yeah..this is for a 1997 F-150 4.6L as well...

Old 04-22-2005, 07:49 PM
Porting and polishing can net you some gains, but how much, is questionable. Its a matter of whether the gains are worth the time and effort (or money),

But to your original question, I would venture to say you would want a new EGR gasket as well...mine came apart in layers when I removed my throttle body (it was the only one that really needed replacing in my opinion, assuming the others dont get torn).

Old 04-22-2005, 08:41 PM
I was able to reuse both gaskets when I removed the TB on my 97 4.6.

Old 04-22-2005, 08:52 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
There was an extensive test done on several intake elbows that only got a best of 7 hp on a dyno test.
This in not a TB but may offer a comparison.
The next item I want to mention is the difference between the motor cycle and an EFI application.
In wet flow application such as a motorcycle, you have some different dynamics involved. Fuel fall out in the outer radious of bends. The surface condition has an influence on this situation. Also there are cooling effects in a wet application.
In a dry application, these effects are largely absent.
The micro finish on the surface will offer resistance to airflow and build up a boundry layer that the rest of the air column slides over, in any event.
On a TB, an increase in airflow per the throttle opening now changes the relationship with the TPS setting and it's signal to the PCM.

As many say, every little bit helps when you get it right.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 04-22-2005 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:11 PM
well, i plan on cleaning the EGR valve sso i might as well give this porting thing a try...not sure if i should necessarily polish it yet though...(sorry if i sound redundant)

also, i heard neal say that he used 3" wheels to do his port/polish, but someone said 3" was too hard to move around in the elbow, so I think I might downsize to a 1.5"...

Old 04-23-2005, 04:57 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Three inch is a perfect fit. It will help keep you from tilting the wheel and gouging the surface. All you need is turn it to compress it so it fits in the TB. Put the TB in a vice and you can just move the drill up and down in the bore.

JMC

Quick Reply: If I remove the throttle body...